Windlass Problems

colpaw

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I recently purchased an 02 Marlin with low hour Yamahas. My family of 6 has put a lot of hours on it and we love it.

I'm having an issue with the Windlass Anchor. When I first hit the switch it moved a couple of links out and then I moved it back it. Now it doesn't work at all. I've replaced the breaker on the battery switch panel and the fuse coming from the battery with no improvement. From research I've read that the solenoids on the control box might be an issue or the box itself. Unfortunately, I can't find the control box. Might it be under the pulpit? It's not directly under the windlass in the anchor box.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 6

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I recently purchased an 02 Marlin with low hour Yamahas. My family of 6 has put a lot of hours on it and we love it.

I'm having an issue with the Windlass Anchor. When I first hit the switch it moved a couple of links out and then I moved it back it. Now it doesn't work at all. I've replaced the breaker on the battery switch panel and the fuse coming from the battery with no improvement. From research I've read that the solenoids on the control box might be an issue or the box itself. Unfortunately, I can't find the control box. Might it be under the pulpit? It's not directly under the windlass in the anchor box.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Any luck yet?
Follow the battery cables, they should go to the breaker, from breaker they go to the relay, which is controlled by the push button at the console. My relay is mounted near the battery area ( by me), but it could be in line with the battery cable anywhere between the battery and the windlass. But I think they are typically near the battery. Once you find it check voltage on the battery side of the relay, then check voltage coming out of it, towards the windlass, when you push the raise/lower switch. If you have good voltage, the windlass could be problem. What kind is is?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have had at least a half dozen windlasses, and the only external parts on recreational sizes have been the circuit breaker and the up/down switch. They usually only come with about a foot of wire coming from the windlass, so you probably have a connection right under it in the anchor locker. Disconnect it there, and apply 12v directly to the red and black leads. It should run forwards and backwards, when you reverse the polarity. That will tell you quickly if it is your windlass, or your wiring.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you have a profish 700 you have a relay (contractor). Good point to check at the windlass connection to determine whether it’s a wiring problem or windlass problem. I’d check the relay first if it was me because in my boat the relay is easier to access than the windlass connection- but that’s just me. 4EE7B820-DEF3-4A25-9404-01F8AB09E2E6.jpeg

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The windlasses I have had also had a breaker located right at the switch. There is a lever that has to be pushed up for the switch to work. Hopefully it is a simple fix