Windlass with no bow pulpit ???

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing a 2005 228 hard top.
THis boat does not have a bow pulpit.. Has anyone installed a
davitt and windlass.. Any issues with anchor hitting the boat ??

B-Faithful

Reaction score
The best bet would be to get a factory pulpit. I am sure your local dealer could install. It would keep with the lines of the boat best. Not sure it would go with the lines of the boat but you can add an extended anchor roller like here: http://www.boatersworld.com/product/157420225msk.htm
I would go with the longest one possible to keep the anchor away from the boat. Being that there is usually some tension on the line, you should have no issue with the anchor hitting the boat unless you power forward too much on the retrieve.

One thing to note about adding a windlass is you need to make sure you have enough "drop" below the windlass for the line to fall. If not you will end up with constant jams. Having a factory pulpit should add to the drop as the windlass usually mounts on top of of the pulpit. Check with your dealer or GW on this. Also Windlasses require a lot of electric juice. Make sure you have it wired propperly. It will require heavy guage wire to and from the windlass directly to the battery. Insist on marine guage wire too! My Quick brand windlass has been flawless and I highly recommend them.

Good luck! :D