Windows staining the Gelcoat ..

Ozz043

Reaction score
Hello All
I have noticed black streaks coming from under the windows on my Marlin. I assume it's the rubber seals but internals are dry, also I don't really want to disturb them.
Any ideas anyone ?

seasick

Reaction score
Ozz043 said:
Hello All
I have noticed black streaks coming from under the windows on my Marlin. I assume it's the rubber seals but internals are dry, also I don't really want to disturb them.
Any ideas anyone ?
Black streaks can be caused by a lot of things, aging rubber parts being one. Just dirty air, pollen and the like can add to the streaks. I find that some polishes are more prone to black streaks than others and some treatments like protectorants for vinyl and plastic ( similar to Armourall) are really good at causing black streaks.
Usually a cleaner wax will remove the streaks but if they don't easily come off, there are black streak remover sprays that work well but you should reapply wax after use.

mboyatt

Reaction score
Have you tried acetone to remove the streaks? Cheap and works on lots of stains. Will not harm your gelcoat either. I agree on a good wax when you remove the stains. That will make it easier to remove them each time they return. Keep her waxed.

Ozz043

Reaction score
I use a wax cleaner after a few trips, maybe that's causing the issue by soaking into the rubber...the rubber gets wet with rain or dew and ... I've also noticed that the rain/dew is pooling on my boat where the sailer next to me is bone dry ?

Ozz043

Reaction score
G-Day All
Has anyone replaced the window seals on a Marlin ?
I think it may be time to replace them.....unfortunately.