Wiper Blade

striped bass

Reaction score
I am replacing the wiper blade for my Grady. The ANCO blade has to be replaced in its entirety - stainless steel wiper as well as the rubber blade. Seems a waste to dump the entire SS wiper along with the rubber blade. Has anyone found a way to keep the SS wiper when replacing the rubber blade?

Boats Rock

Reaction score
I went to NAPA and purchased a refill. The marine blade is the same as the ones used on medium and heavy trucks.

striped bass

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll go to NAPA tomorrow. I will have to break the wiper in order to remove the old rubber blade and insert the new one. The Stainless Steel ANCO wiper has the rubber blade locked into the wiper. I would have to break off one of the metal tangs to slide out the rubber blade. The problem then becomes how to secure the new rubber blade after the wiper mechanism has been broken in order to remove the old and slide in the new blade. Did you have the same issue?

Average Joe

Reaction score
striped bass said:
Thanks. I'll go to NAPA tomorrow. I will have to break the wiper in order to remove the old rubber blade and insert the new one. The Stainless Steel ANCO wiper has the rubber blade locked into the wiper. I would have to break off one of the metal tangs to slide out the rubber blade. The problem then becomes how to secure the new rubber blade after the wiper mechanism has been broken in order to remove the old and slide in the new blade. Did you have the same issue?

The "keepers" slide out on both ends. Just grab the lip with a pair of pliers, squeeze the tangs in and pull.

striped bass

Reaction score
Average Joe:

I did just that and it worked fine. Thanks for the advice. I went to NAPA and bought a new rubber universal blade. Wouldn't you know it but ANCO has changed the design just enouigh that the new rubber blade does not fit into the the older wiper. The newer rubber blade slot for the keepers has a spine (where the keepers slide in) that is very slightly wider than the original rubber blade so that the blade and the keepers when assembled are too wide for the eight curved arms that hold the keepers and blade. I tried for an hour to get them to fit but no go. I'm off to NAPA this morning to see what else they can offer.

striped bass

Reaction score
Problem solved (finally). I went back to Autozone and was able to get another model ANCO wiper ( N-16R) with the correct spine width for the keepers. Reassembly of the SS wiper parts was tricky but doable.
I also learned that Autozone and NAPA sell a retrofit part for the wiper arm so that the plastic RainX snap on wipers can be used on the ANCO arm.
Thanks guys for all the tips. I would have bought the whole replacement wiper from GW if it was not for your guidance.

3rd Day

Reaction score
I too had to replace the wiper on my 23. I thought that $15 was very reasonable for a complete arm from my dealer.