Wires thru hardtop structure 268 Islander

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So what can anyone tell me about the wire routes? I’m thinking a GoPro setup to record the whole day. No battery-full time DC power. Hardtop tower structure.

Fishing short handed no time for photo ops.

seasick

Reaction score
Doesn't your hard top have an electronics box? If so, it should be pre-wired for power. I guess it doesn't since I would expect you to have already looked at that option.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I tink he wants to run wires thru the pipes. All of the pipes are not open. In fact most are not open.
Generally speaking, for all the towers I have dealt with, the wires go up the first vertical on the starboard side and across the top pipe on the starboard side

The existing wires to the Hardtop and Spreader lights will give you a clue.

As for GoPro, if I had another one it would be great permanently mounted with power. I have it on an old fishing rod so I can move it around and jam it in the water . I also use the hat mount.

Its old and all the batteries are not lasting very long. Might be time for a new one.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes - I want to run thru the pipes. I want a camera that can run all day. I'm alway short crewed and its hard to fiddle with a camera or phone or possibly capture the bite.

We have had GoPro's on the big rig tournament boats but its the same deal. We have lots of crew but no one is running the cameras. It's a real shame because we have no record of some awesome fishing situations. It's also about the money - release the fish ASAP and get lines back out. There are no million dollar photo's!

Mleslie347

Reaction score
Just did similar on my ‘95 Islander a few weeks ago.

As mentioned above, I ran a 10‘ USB-C cord out the side of the hard top electronics box, and through the u-channel that the spreader, E-box power, and NMEA wires run under. At that point, I could get into the starboard aluminum tube through which some other wires exit that run up the aft vertical tube, but didnt think I could subsequently make the corner into the horizontal tube supporting the aft side of the hard top (had previously tried to route some other wires around that bend with no luck). Ended up just running the gopro power straight aft through the spreader light bracket and then zip tied it externally across the back side of the aluminum bar for the hard top rocket launcher. Then down to the gopro, which is mounted to a ram mount amidships on the underside of the aft edge of the hard top.

The small zip ties aren't the most elegant solution, but until i figure something else out, they get the job done without looking too unsightly.

Picture(s) would be way better than trying to describe it, unfortunately. Have to run over and replace a thermostat on one of my 150’s tomorrow or Tues, so will try to remember to take a few pics of how I routed things and update the post.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm going to temp something up to see how the camera works out. After that point I'll do something permanent.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
GoPro 9, wide lense, mount and accessories ordered. We'll see...