Worn Non-Skid???

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For the longest time, I thought that my nonskid around the deck rails had mildew and required a stronger cleaner. However, it looks like it’s starting to peel off.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? It’s a 20 year old boat and the main deck is fine, but everything under the rails looks worn/ dirty? Seems odd as nothing really rubs on it.

Attachments

• D5FD76DB-0408-4F15-8587-BF40DD02F38D.jpeg
    D5FD76DB-0408-4F15-8587-BF40DD02F38D.jpeg
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 4
  • F3417C1F-03FB-4D77-9C43-5F2324DFF1C2.jpeg
    F3417C1F-03FB-4D77-9C43-5F2324DFF1C2.jpeg
    908.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 05EC09A5-E379-417C-80CE-A740DD97A66F.jpeg
    05EC09A5-E379-417C-80CE-A740DD97A66F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Think so? I’m definitely not a fan of it as the rest of the non skid is in great shape except whatever this is under the rails. Seems to be flaking off in a few spots and not sure if it should stop cleaning it so as not to make it worse.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Agree with Skunk. Gelcoat doesn't flake off. Does that non-skid match the rest of the boat? For some reason, it looks different than what I would expect to see.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I thought it was just aged as it’s a slightly different color. Just looks dirty to be honest with almost a grayish tint to it.

Now I am curious how much of my boat has this. Assuming all under the rails, but I don’t think the top of the stern does.

Is this something that could easy come off? What could I use? Not sure if it’s worth the headache of doing unless it worsens...

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Previous owner may have painted non-skid on the top of the gunnels and forward. What does the deck look like?

Decks had diamond pattern but gunnels did not...

Stop scrubbing....

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Deck is your typical non-skid with the diamond pattern. It’s in good shape minus a spot or two that have a little silicone that I need to remove. Does shine up nicely with starbrite deck wax.

I’ll gladly stop scrubbing :)

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
That is painted on non-skid. My friend had a 56' Ocean with the same issue. He was able to power wash it off. If you go that way be careful to test a small section. Power washing will find voids in the fiberglass layup and chip.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for all the feedback. Now I have to take a closer look as I just thought it was factory.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think that it probably is factory, looks like what is on my 2000. I have been seeing it, but not really focusing on it yet, as I have other projects. I haven't noticed any chipping away, mostly just wondering how to treat it, to make it easier to keep clean, as it seems to attract stains.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think that it probably is factory, looks like what is on my 2000. I have been seeing it, but not really focusing on it yet, as I have other projects. I haven't noticed any chipping away, mostly just wondering how to treat it, to make it easier to keep clean, as it seems to attract stains.
If that is factory, then they would have had to spray the non-skid on AFTER removing the deck from the mold... which means after the main layer of gelcoat had cured and didn't get a good bond.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I haven't paid any attention under the bow rail, I mostly see it on top of the cockpit gunnels. Looks like either they taped it off, applied some sort of adhesive, and a coat of grit, or maybe it is just a peel-and-stick strip?
The non-skid on the decks is molded in.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
This non-skid was applied after the boat came out of the mold. I would call GW tech or email them to confirm it was factory and possibly what they used. It not likely a two part polyurethane which wouldn't peel off. I'm trying to get s picture of the 56' Ocean bow that had a similar problem.

You should be able to power wash it off, tape it out and re-roll it. If you're not comfortable DIY you should be able to find a yard or glass guy in NJ to do it.

Here is what my friend had to say:
I don’t have a photo. Issue was old owner painted a more aggressive non skid on top of less aggressive factory. Owner applied coat started peeling. Came off with power wash. Not really a problem just messy taking it off with white flakes blowing everywhere.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So this is definitely factory? It's interesting that Grady changed to this style of non-skid - my '82 had the diamond pattern everywhere. And plenty of manufacturers still have the diamond pattern everywhere. I wonder how long Grady did it that way?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Took a closer look at mine this weekend, same boat as Amamola, and I am more convinced than ever that it’s some 77BA38C3-1036-4E4E-BF17-2DD2138D5473.jpeg
FEE543E0-3AE8-4BD1-BFC6-9F493251366D.jpegsort of peel and stick strip. It is not granular at all, and really has no depth, and I don’t think that I could scrape off anything without going through to the gelcoat.
You can see in the very bottom left corner of the second picture that the deck has traditional diamond shaped nonskid in the gelcoat

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Glacier, what you have is often referred to as a "pebble finish". But if you look closely at the OP's picture, there is a definite difference. Thinking more about this, I'd be that what he has there is a repair to a worn pebble finish non-skid - or at least an attempt to "re-non skid" what has been worn away.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ll grab some more pics to compare. It seems as if mine is more worn than his as I don’t notice such a difference between the two surfaces as you can see on his pics.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I’ll grab some more pics to compare. It seems as if mine is more worn than his as I don’t notice such a difference between the two surfaces as you can see on his pics.

Glacier’s is the factory finish; looks the same as my 2005. It doesn’t provide much grip when wet so it’s plausible the previous owner of your boat did a DIY modification to improve traction since it’s sometimes easier to step on the gunnel than in the narrow walkaround channel.

Knock off the loose stuff and recoat? I’d consider going with a contrasting color or tape off along the same lines for whatever repair/recoat you do as it’ll be hard to match/blend with the existing gelcoat.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Power wash a small section. Holokai is probably right that the old owner applied another non-skid over the factory gel coat treatment. If your going to paint on new non-skid (tape out and roll on) you should take the old stuff off. You should be able to tint the non-skid.