Would this autopilot work well with my boat?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
blech...never mind.. seems too much a pain and no support.. lol. Will wait till I can afford a new one.

Just have to figure out which model works with my boat. I assume I will stick with Garmin since the whole boat is garmin, but man....wish it had been Simrad loaded.. Garmin freaking values their stuff :p

I have a nmea 2000 backbone, just leery of all garmin but non-garmin autopilot....garmin will say they do not support it.. other brand will say the same, and it will be a fight.

I know.. Mr Pessimistic heh

R

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, have sea trialed my Furuno Navpilot 300. Has left me with a severe case of perma-grin!! Plotting routes on either my older Lowrance HDS or my Furuno 1870F Steering spot on, with a bunch of plug and play trolling fishing patterns, Sabiki mode back trolling , keeping the boat in place while in Halibut and Cod pursuit. The wireless remote ""point and steer" is very cool. Anyway thought I would share the fun factor, as summer is coming on, here on the Island. Unfortunately this year it will be a long wait for fishing the big Springs, based on badly based science by the Feds, made by those who are not really clear where B.C. is in the beautiful country. Enough! Cheers, trapper

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I am a little concerned with this older model. I am reading that since it is discontinued, there is no support for it and it can be a bear to configure. I am wondering if 650 now, vs saving a little more and having the ability to interface and control it with the 7610 might be a better solution.

Albeit I hear, if working, it is a solid unit.

With being discontinued, and used, it might also cost as much in the long run in replacement parts.

Would be nice, but.. I need to figure out if it is worth the risk.

I tried to talk to West Marine to figure out how I find out my drive capacity and such to determine what APs will work with my boat. Since I have a NMEA 2000 backbone... technically.. do not need to use Garmin, but my luck... I will get ahold of a model that is problematic.