WTB Express 360 any suggestions or comments?

merob

Reaction score
Model
Advance
Looking at Express 360's with twin 350 Yamahas. Any opinions? Range is very important fishing from Galveston.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
In February of last year (2021), I began looking at what is now my current boat (GW 306 Canyon). It is equipped with twin 2018 Yamaha F350 ("C" generation motors).

I asked the service manager at the Yamaha dealer and the owner of the dealer that was servicing my prior boat and motor (2012 Hydra-Sports 2300 CC with a Yamaha F300) about the F350s. The service manager said to avoid the "A" generation motors. Both the service manager and the owner said that the later years of the "B" generation and all "C" generation are fine motors. They all have the flywheel issue, but it is not a big deal and that the flywheels simply need to be replaced when the engine is operated for a certain number of hours at/between a particular RPM range. It's not that you have to stop using the boat immediately; you just need to get them done soon after the service message pops up on the command gauge.

From a performance standpoint, I am very impressed with their performance. They push my 2018 Grady-White 306 Canyon like a freight train. The boat barely slows when hitting big waves. They "cruise" the boat at 32 MPH at 3700 RPM at 1.4 MPG (30 GPH). They keep the boat on plane at 25 MPH or so and push it to a speed of around 52 MPH at 5400 RPMs. I have not run the boat at WOT. Currently, I am at about 200 hours. Time will tell how well they treat me.

seasick

Reaction score
Probably a bit under powered. I guess that depends on what your requirements are..

Good point about the early model 350s. There are some fairly serious design issues. There are lots of posts about those issues. Yamaha does not make the F350 anymore.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Whether it is underpowered or not really depends on how you use it. I had a 360 with trip 250’s which is marginally more HP for the weight differential. It moved fine for a big, heavy, 36’ express boat……But it certainly wasn’t a rocket ship. Cruise was 30-31 MPH at about .8 MPG. Could get as low as .6 in tough conditions. However, the power was more than adequate. IF you want to cruise 35 plus this set up is not for you unless you don’t mind pushing the motors hard. I cruised at 4400-4500 and would not want to push any engine harder than that (JMO). There good news is the 360 really isn’t affected by weight at all. Loaded, unloaded…..Performance is the same.

seasick

Reaction score
Whether it is underpowered or not really depends on how you use it. I had a 360 with trip 250’s which is marginally more HP for the weight differential. It moved fine for a big, heavy, 36’ express boat……But it certainly wasn’t a rocket ship. Cruise was 30-31 MPH at about .8 MPG. Could get as low as .6 in tough conditions. However, the power was more than adequate. IF you want to cruise 35 plus this set up is not for you unless you don’t mind pushing the motors hard. I cruised at 4400-4500 and would not want to push any engine harder than that (JMO). There good news is the 360 really isn’t affected by weight at all. Loaded, unloaded…..Performance is the same.
I am surprised that your hull isn't affected by weight. I can't see how a full tank and a few fishing buddies wouldn't affect performance.
Then again, it weighs almost 8 tons with motors, how's another ton of gas going to make that much difference:)

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I am surprised that your hull isn't affected by weight. I can't see how a full tank and a few fishing buddies wouldn't affect performance.
Then again, it weighs almost 8 tons with motors, how's another ton of gas going to make that much difference:)
I was as well. Had that boat for 11 years. 2 guys, 6 guys, full fuel , 1/2 fuel, loaded for offshore or not…always ran the same. Wind, tide, and sea conditions would affect it but not load.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The first ones had some balance issues as i recall. Lead filled bags used in the bow area to help. Just stay away from the early years (probably first 5 or so). I'd want 300s on the hull., 250s not enough and I think early ones may have even had trips on the transom. 350s I don't know... I'd have to see some reliability data on them. The early ones not so good.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have said this before; my 2018 350C's are the best outboards I've ever owned. Not even a hiccup; 300+ hrs and they run like Swiss Watches.

The V8 power really helps putting these big boats on plane, and they are a perfect match for my Marlin. I'm sorry they quit making them.

The flywheel issue is covered for free for the lifetime of the engine. I am not certain it is transferable to the next owner, although I'll bet it is. It's no big deal to have them replaced at the time the command gauge says so. It takes an hour or so and it's done.

As mentioned, I would be leery of the earlier models.