Yamaha 200 HDPI's on a 272 Sailfish

fellinger

Reaction score
Hello all. I am currently running twin 1995 200 Johnson's on my 1995 272 Sailfish. The motors run strong but, are very old and not very fuel efficient. There is a guy local to me who has twin 2001 Yamaha 200 HDPI's that are on a 26 Regulator that he bought with the intent to repower with 4 strokes. He has put about 80 hours on them since November and has had no issues. They have just shy of 1300 hours. Compression in all cylinders is between 95 and 110 and consistent for all cylinders on each motor. These motors are probably close to double the fuel efficiency of what I am running now. He is looking for $5k for them. I sent the serial numbers to a place that is supposed to be able to pull up warranty information to see if there has ever been any major claims. Of course, if this works out I would have them inspected and run the boat they are currently on.

This boat came from NC and was lift stored and only used with non-ethanol fuel. The guy told me when he first got it he changed all of the filters and they were immaculate.

I hate asking motor questions because it always turns into an opinion debate so, I am looking for actual HDPI owners, especially those who had them on a similar rig.

1) Pros of ownership
2) Cons of ownership
3) Items to be aware of if buying them
4) Overall happiness with them
5) Fuel economy (type of boat included)
6) Is this a fair price?
7) Are the number of hours concerning (I don't think so)?

Any other information would be awesome!

Thanks!

SeaVee

Reaction score
They are great motors and if you keep them up you should be able to get plenty more hours on them. They were a lot of 272’s with those motors so you should have no problem getting performance figures. I say go for it.

reelserious

Reaction score
I have owned my 272 powered by twin 200 HPDI's since new in 2000. I have around 1,100 hours on them. They have been bullet proof. Maintenance, especially the fuel and filtration system, is critical in my opinion. The motors are much quieter than the OX 66's and only a few decibels louder than the 4 strokes when under load. Fuel economy is almost as good as the 4 strokes. You can expect about 1.6 to 1.7 MPG at cruise (4,000 RPM's) if burning ethanol. Slightly better if burning MTBE (non-ethanol). Other than the importance of filtration system maintenance, I really don't have any cons. One suggestion I would have if you buy them would be to pull the injectors out and send them off for testing and o-ring and filter replacement, if the original owner never has. I did mine last year at the suggestion of my long-time mechanic, solely based on the number of hours on the engines(no performance issues). His reasoning is that if an injector goes, it could cost a powerhead. Cannot comment on the price of the motors, but if the $5k is his original asking price, I am sure there is room to negotiate.

suzukidave

Reaction score
i own a 1995 200 carbed evinrude on a 223 and in september looked at swapping to a good deal on a clean old 200 hpdi with high undocumented hours coming off a charter boat. i ended up deciding i would wait for a low hour motor that i could see lasting a long time. i will be interested to hear your results.

main part of my decision is that i tend to run fast. the optimum fuel economy benefits from fuel injection occur at mid-range circa 4000 rpm where the fuel delivery can be precisely managed by an injection system. there is also a benefit when trolling but i don't troll. the higher the rpm, the more fuel gets thrown at the motor and the less difference between a carb engine and a fuel injected motor. by the time you get to 5000 rpm there is not really a difference when you factor in real world conditions. i seem to like to run at 4500+.

so instead i am going to install an enertia prop i bought and play with the fuel meter and engine height and try and find a sweet spot.

bac0701

Reaction score
Im happy with my HPDI 200's pushing my 265. Ive had them two seasons not. not one issue just basic work done. plugs, fw separator, thermostats etc. Only small issue is the filter on the remote tank plugs up pretty easy but its a quick fix. Fuel burn isn't bad at all considering the size and weight of the rig. get up and power is awesome. If i had older 2strokes id totally consider at that price (if they check out). By the time you sell the johnson's your not to far off your original investment in my opinion. The fuel you save would make that difference up not long after. Sea trial them if you can let us know how you make out. Ive yet to have a fuel issue (knock on wood). Most of my fills have been from land in high volume stations. The boat doesn't sit long also.