Yamaha 350 outboard

teaklejr

Reaction score
Wanted to find out who has early model Yamaha 350’s and if you have been happy with them, any problems, how many hours on them? Found a boat with a pair of 2008 Yamaha 350 with about 300 hours on them. I have read the early modes of these motors had some problems but I wonder if some of the bad rap is just people who have never owned them but read someone say they are problem child’s. Would love to get feedback from real owners. If a thorough inspection of the engines checked out perfect should I be worried about them even if they check ok. Boat is a 2008 305 Express and looks very nice at least the pics do have not seen it in person yet. Wife and I are pretty set on a 305 Express but not many out there in our budget.

seasick

Reaction score
Personally, I would avoid the 350s. The issues are real and although they have supposedly been fixed in later models,
Yamaha had to extend warranty and promise to replace flywheels as necessary and some folks had to have that done several times. The loose flywheel issue could lead to major powerhead failure.
If you are going to seriously consider the boat, ask if the flywheels have been inspected and/or replaced and more importantly call Yamaha and find out if the extended coverage applies to your motors and for how long. That should be in writting even if it is a general service statement from Yamaha.

Twin 300’s

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I have a buddy that has Twin 2017 or 2018 Suzuki 350 dual probs on his 33 express and he loves them and gets way better fuel mileage then the Twin 2012 300hp Suzuki’s. I wouldn’t think twice on putting 350 Suzuki’s on there if my 26.5 express would of been able to take the weight they would be on my boat to.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
My bro has triple 2013 F350 Yamahas on yellowfin. The flywheel issue is a pita. Every 80 hours of operation between 3500 and 4200 rpms, the flywheel has to be replaced due to vibration possibly snapping the crankshaft in half. The ecm keeps track of the hours in that range and lets you know on the gage when it is time. Yamaha warranties this issue completely but it is still a pita to have to get the boat to the dealer to have it done. We get .65 mpg on a 50 mph cruise and .75 mpg at 40mph. He is going to rig 4 350hp Verados next year. His other smaller yellowfin has a Verado. It is much quieter and has more out of the hole. Just don’t own a Verado without a warranty. Could get very expensive with the super chargers, pencil coils, etc going bad from time to time.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I would avoid the 350's if you can for the above reasons. Which was also the same advice from my Yamaha mechanic. If your looking at 305's the Yamaha F300's are an excellent match.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have 2018 350's and would buy another pair tomorrow. They have been the best engines I've owned.

The flywheel issue is no problem at all. I've had mine replaced twice and it's less than a day in the service dept. The last time, it coincided with my 100 hr service. I get a grouper sandwich at the joint next door while it's being done and don't even think about it.

I called Yamaha before I had my Marlin rigged with 350's and they told me the issues we're rectified. They said the flywheels are free for life and the engines are marvelous. I totally agree.

The 305 would be perfect with 350's. Like Seasick said, I would check out the older models thoroughly, as I've had no experience with them. They may indeed be ones to avoid, and if you do pull the trigger, I would get some guarantee from Yamaha for your peace of mind going forward.

To summarize, I would hesitate if I was buying older models given their tainted history, but I'm sold on the new ones.

seasick

Reaction score
I just looked at the Yamaha site and see a 350C, the newest model. It comes with a 5 year warranty:)
My questions is: Are the older 350s still being made or is the 350C its replacement, hopefully with the bugs worked out?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Dunno..That would be a beneficial call for teaklejr to make.

The Yam Rep told me my 2018's were good with the ongoing flywheel swaps but we didn't talk about the older engines or the steps they took to fix the new ones.

I would be curious if my 2018's were the same as the old ones with upgrades

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
teaklejr:

Have a look at the numbers on my "350 Perf/Marlin" thread that I just brought back from the GreatGradyGravesite.

It'll give you an idea of what the 350's would do on your proposed Express 305.

Sibs

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The early 350’s have casting flaw that creates a pocket in head that is hard to bleed out air and creates a hot spot, the same location also can trap Water and freeze, they are not fully self draining and require these engines especially to be filled with antifreeze when winterizing in colder climates. Also have weak gear case, by the time the 350C came out they have corrected most of the issues other than the harmonic vibration problem. A good friend of mine that owns a large marina and lots of repowering, told me when I was looking at 2008 330 express’s with 350’s not to walk but run away ticking time bomb at $180k. New ones no issues really. So unless you can buy right with repowering in mind?..

Twin 300’s

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Do you guys not like Suzuki motors? I have had them for 8 years on my boats and run them hard and have had no probs

Sibs

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
i think my repower would be Suzuki’s this time, they have a new 300 dual prop, for better bite.

93marlin28

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Wanted to find out who has early model Yamaha 350’s and if you have been happy with them, any problems, how many hours on them? Found a boat with a pair of 2008 Yamaha 350 with about 300 hours on them. I have read the early modes of these motors had some problems but I wonder if some of the bad rap is just people who have never owned them but read someone say they are problem child’s. Would love to get feedback from real owners. If a thorough inspection of the engines checked out perfect should I be worried about them even if they check ok. Boat is a 2008 305 Express and looks very nice at least the pics do have not seen it in person yet. Wife and I are pretty set on a 305 Express but not many out there in our budget.
I'm in almost the same "boat" LOL....considering a 2008 330 Express with the 350's. Port powerhead was replaced after a cylinder head leaked seawater into the block. Also sketchy history on the flywheel replacements. Looking at some other 33's that have 250 HP Yamahas.....does anyone have an opinion if that may be a little underpowered?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
93 Marlin 28:

"Underpowered" is a subjective term; I have been on two or three 33 Expresses with 250's and I think they are definitely underpowered. You spin the mils at or near 4800-4900RPM to keep it just above 30 mph netting 1.1 or 1.2 MPG. Others will say the 250's are fine. It's all personal perspective.

The newer 350C's would be a great match for the 33 Express. I'm hearing rumblings that the 350's will be discontinued, however, although last time I looked, Yamaha still advertised them on their site. My selling dealer and Yamaha assured me that even if they disappear, Yamaha will continue to stand behind them, replace the wheels and stock replacement parts.

As mentioned above, I would shy away from the older model 350's.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Why take a risk or have planned maintenance for a big issue that Yamaha can walk from? I'd stay away and go with the highest reliability motor that can be serviced locally dependably. The goal is to be on the water and piece of mind if you ask me.

Reactions: PointedRose

Viking 1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I have a Freedom 335 with 2 350's and about 500 hrs...Boat is a 2013...Yamaha has been responsive and replaced flywheel twice with no problems or costs. They do it as previously outlined in this thread. My boat with these engines have been fantastic..no bow rise and all my friends who own other boats are envious...this includes Regal..Wellcraft...Yellowfin and Boston Whaler...all 33ft or greater with bow-rise problems ... I would buy these again but would be skeptical of a 335 Freedom with only 2 300's. I rode on a Freedom 335 which had 3 300's sold to him because of the 350 mis-information. One of the 300's had a problem and we had to drive home for 3 hours using 2 engines (2 300's) It ran pretty good but had to constantly adjust trim tabs...

Just has a chance to see the Suzuki 350's on a neighbors boat...Impressive...

Reactions: magicalbill

93marlin28

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
93 Marlin 28:

"Underpowered" is a subjective term; I have been on two or three 33 Expresses with 250's and I think they are definitely underpowered. You spin the mils at or near 4800-4900RPM to keep it just above 30 mph netting 1.1 or 1.2 MPG. Others will say the 250's are fine. It's all personal perspective.

The newer 350C's would be a great match for the 33 Express. I'm hearing rumblings that the 350's will be discontinued, however, although last time I looked, Yamaha still advertised them on their site. My selling dealer and Yamaha assured me that even if they disappear, Yamaha will continue to stand behind them, replace the wheels and stock replacement parts.

As mentioned above, I would shy away from the older model 350's.

93marlin28

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the advice. After much research, the flywheel failures were the result of strange harmonics at those rpm ranges. Can’t be good for crank bearings. I’ve found a 330 Express re-powered with (2) 300 hp Yamahas still under warranty. Probably going for that one

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
I have a 2011 275 Freedom with an F350UCA, which has the original style manifold. The engine has 750+ hours and no problems. It is torquey and efficient (2+ MPG) under 4500 RPM and it will push the boat to nearly 45 MPH at WOT.

I bought my boat used and it was at least $20K cheaper than comparable examples with twin 150s or twin 200s. If anything happens to my engine I can buy a used replacement for $10K. So I can repower twice and still not have paid more for my boat than a slower one with twin 150s. I'll take that bet.

Reactions: Dhirsh

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
After much research, the flywheel failures were the result of strange harmonics at those rpm ranges. Can’t be good for crank bearings.

There haven't been many/any reports of F350 failures once the preventative flywheel replacement program was put into place in 2015. I wouldn't worry about it. Every engine has vibrations.