Yamaha command link square guage fuel level 2 tanks

Zumytunes

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hello- I have a 2001- 232 Gulfstream with twin 2007 Yamaha 150's with the square Command link gauges.

There are 2 fuel tanks, the Main and Aux tanks & I am wondering how the CL guage shoes the fuel levels for each tank? I see the bars ont the right side of the gauge under the fuel eblem assuming thats the main tank?

The "mode" button doesnt work on this Speed/fuel guage & its locked up on only one page, I cant scroll through anything anything else so maybe if it did work the next page would show the other Aux tank fuel level?

I am looking into getting a new speed/fuel gauge, saw some on E-bay..Any help is apporceiated!

Thanks Justin

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Get the manual for the gauge on line and program it properly for two tanks. Both tanks will show on the same page. The fact that it’s locked up could be a problem but you should be able to go in the programming mode and maybe fix it. I have two tanks and the left bar is my main tank, right bar is aux tank. Programming the gauge Will allow you to set various indications up to suit your specific needs.

patrick16

Reaction score
I have an 04 232 and there is a rocker switch which will change the bar gauge from main to aux tank. It takes a minute for the gauge to switch.

Zumytunes

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks for the input wspitler & patrick16, its much appreciated.

I see now their are 2 columns of bars below the gas tank emblem, assuming the left in main and right is Aux as wspitler said.

I tried to reset the gauge holding both the "set" & "mode" buttons together for 4 seconds, actually tried 10 seconds 20 seconds, and by themselves all kinds of combinations but nothing. I cant get anything else to display on this gauge, that triangle in the middle is contnually blinking, any ideas on what I could check or where I could get a new or replacement Gauge? Ebay seems to be the only place I have found any from the little searching around I have done.

Again thanks for the help! Much appreciated! Justin

Attachments

• IMG_8578.jpg
    IMG_8578.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 8

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Gauges are pretty reliable. They work off of a Yamaha CL hub. I'd look at the connections before buying a gauge. It is a digital data bus and my hubs (330 Express with F300s), there are two, are aft next to the diesel generator tank and behind the gauges at the helm. If you can hook up YDIS to either engine directly and get readouts, then the problem is with the CL hub/data bus/gauge, it is the same info. Since your fuel bars are pegged high, if your tanks are not full, then the gauge may not be getting any signal at all. I'd check and spray out all CL connections before buying a gauge.

Zumytunes

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Great thanks for the tip, ill check the hub and connections, both tanks are completely full

FirstTimeGrady

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I really don't like the electronic box on the 330, a lot of reflection on the gauges. Anyway, here is a pic of the two fuel gauges:

1638841710122.png

Zumytunes

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks FirsttimeGrady

on another note does anyone have a wiring diagram for this 6Y8-8356N-01-00 Fuel sender/GPS harness that plugs into the back of the Command link Speed/fuel guage? I searched around and could not find one.

I think this might be wired wrong on my boat and may be the cause for the Speed/Fuel gauge to be locked up on 1 page, I wanted to double check the wiring. It looks like the previous owner tapped into this harness, there is a12vdc hot, a ground and another ground thats not connected..

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• NTU5MDA0Mw-6976a6be.jpg
    NTU5MDA0Mw-6976a6be.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8591.jpg
    IMG_8591.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8599.jpg
    IMG_8599.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8600.jpg
    IMG_8600.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 10

FirstTimeGrady

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Here is the wiring instructions for the fuel sender. My aft tank was not working, and I noticed it was wired backwards. PINK goes to ground, BLACK goes to the gauge, which seems backwards. I reversed the connections, and a week later I noticed my aft fuel gauge started working again.

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, but good to know. Replacement senders can also be ordered at kus-usa, my sender on a 330 was 26" in length.

1638907442442.png

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Think you may have other issues FirstTimeGrady. That's original wiring in your pic. Pink is the sending wire, black is ground. Mine is wired the same, pink to gauge, black to ground. ABYC marine wiring code has pink to sender to gauge. It's industry standard.

ABYC-Cable-Wire-Color-Codes-for-Yacht-Boat-Marine-Wiring.png20190420_190658.jpg

FirstTimeGrady

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Think you may have other issues FirstTimeGrady. That's original wiring in your pic. Pink is the sending wire, black is ground. Mine is wired the same, pink to gauge, black to ground. ABYC marine wiring code has pink to sender to gauge. It's industry standard.

View attachment 23916View attachment 23915

Interesting, do you think the KUS installation guide in the link above has a typo?

1638911096755.png

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Look at the last sentence in what you have circled. If gauge is color coded, maintain that coding. These gauges are used in multiple configuration I'm sure. Just saying industry standard is pink to sender, black to ground. Can't answer why yours started working unless loose wire somewhere. Your pic shows that Grady had yours wired per the standard.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Last edited:

FirstTimeGrady

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Look at the last sentence in what you have circled. If gauge is color coded, maintain that coding. These gauges are used in multiple configuration I'm sure. Just saying industry standard is pink to sender, black to ground. Can't answer why yours started working unless loose wire somewhere. Your pic shows that Grady had yours wired per the standard.

My forward tank sender/gauge is working with the wiring as you indicate. My aft gauge just started working after I cleaned and reversed the connection (I tried original polarity first and it didn't work, I reversed and a week later it started working), so likely it was a dirty connection. I'd assume the gauge is just looking at resistance, so with wiring likely the polarity is not critical.

I sent an email to KUS to review their installation guide for typos...

Thanks

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
good stuff guys thanks for all the useful info, Ky Grady now thats a gorgeous fuel tank ;) goals...
Thanks. It came a a cost. I replaced both my main and auxiliary tanks with OEM from Florida Marine Tanks due to leaks. While doing that, also replaced all my fuel lines.

FirstTimeGrady

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Update from KUS:

Hello Jim,

Thank you for contacting KUS. My name is Yale and I'll be assisting with your inquiry.
Either way of wiring (pink to ground, black to sender / pink to sender black to ground) would work fine.

Best Regards,

Yale
KUS USA
3350 Davie Road, Suite 203
Davie, FL 33314

www.kus-usa.com
www.kusauto.com/en
Sensing Quality, Gauging Success!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Update from KUS:

Hello Jim,

Thank you for contacting KUS. My name is Yale and I'll be assisting with your inquiry.
Either way of wiring (pink to ground, black to sender / pink to sender black to ground) would work fine.

Best Regards,

Yale
KUS USA
3350 Davie Road, Suite 203
Davie, FL 33314

www.kus-usa.com
www.kusauto.com/en
Sensing Quality, Gauging Success!
I'll go with crud on your original spade connectors and you cleaned them off when you switched them around. Chasing electrical gremlin's can be a pain.

Reactions: FirstTimeGrady