Yamaha engine alarms went off.

boatz

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Today I was in some heavy seas. I took a large wave got some air and came down hard on the next wave. When the boat came down hard both engine alarms went off. Engines we still running. I shut down one engine at a time and it seem to seset the engine alarm went off when done.

It seems to be running fine. Does anyone have an idea of what might have caused this?

freddy063

Reaction score
what motors do you have and what alarm went off?

boatz

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have twin 200HP 2 stroke motors. both are 1991. As far as the alarm it was the alarm that goes off when you 1st turn the key to start the engines.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Did you happen to see what indicator was flashing on your gauge when the alarm was blaring? I don't think it's a normal condition to have an alarm going off when you start the engine. At least the only time I've ever gotten an alarm starting our motor is when the kill switch lanyard was not clipped in. But I don't know the differences between the 1991 and 1995 Yamahas.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say you tripped one of the low oil alarms (either main tank or aux tank). Did the motors go into safety mode and drop RPM's automatically?

no problem

Reaction score
I had 93's and the alarm goes off when you turn the ignition on to verify it's operational. I was also going to guess the float in the oil tank signaled low oil when the boat launched. I don't know of an over-rev alarm. If it turned off and continued normally I wouldn't worry about it. :D

boatz

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yamaha

According to the owners manual for these engines the buzzer or alarm will go off when you turn the key to the on position. It will last for 5 seconds and then stop. It was the same alarm that went off when we came down hard from the wave. I did not see any flashing from the the consol when it happened.
The oil tanks are full and there is not a blockage in the line. My guess is we got a lot of air props were out of the water. There easily 6 to 9 footers out there. Buzzards Bay can be tough some days. Boat seems fine I was out again today all system ran smoothly. I am having a Yamaha mechanic looking at it tomorrow to make sure.

striped bass

Reaction score
Z:
The oil sensor(s) were probably slammed down to the bottom. They probably re-floated to normal levels after the wave went by.
Also if the props took a lot of air the pick ups may have sucked a lot of air, thus, quickly over heating the engines which cooled after they were re-submerged.

I like your idea of having a Yamaha mechanic check it out.

Let us know what he finds.

grady23

Reaction score
Ever see the $30,000+ lower units on a GO-Fast?? There's a reason they cost so much -- They are MUCH MUCH tougher and designed to take that kind of pounding. When a prop Free-Spins (no Load) and then SLAMS back into the water, it creates tremendous sudden force on the lower unit. This has nothing to do with the alarms unless it was an over-rev alarm. I'm not even sure your engines have that. This is just a word of caution to help you extend the life of your lower units.
This info has been collected from a friend that builds 2000 HP Go-fast boats.
I wouldn't spend the money on a mechanic if the boat seems to be running fine -- Just my opinion.