Yamaha F225s got the corrosion...

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
This keeps getting better and better... Started off doing annual service. Found water in both gear cases, so pulled lowers to do seals & pressure tests, water pumps, etc. Scoped, discovered corrosion & ordered center section exhaust kits. Scope sucks, so couldn't really see block condition until I pulled power head... Got the Starboard motor off, ran out of daylight on the Port side. What I found on the Starboard block is not pretty. I have been told it can be welded up, ground down & decked. I sure do not want to buy new blocks and rebuild... Has anybody had their motor saved in this condition?
20200613_203903.jpg20200614_013013.jpg20200614_013325.jpg20200614_013138.jpg20200614_013242.jpg20200614_012944.jpg20200614_012906.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: leeccoll

wrxhoon

Reaction score
You can repair anything but there comes a time that is not economically worth the effort.
If I was you I would re-power if I wanted to keep the boat for some time . If you are looking to offload the boat anytime soon you maybe better of fitting a used engine rather than repair .

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ouch,,,sorry Ridge. I agree with hoon for both situations whether you plan to keep the boat or sell in a couple of years. You might be able to weld the new flange on but I'd still be concerned with the corrosion on into the block. I'd get some numbers for buying a new block, repower with used motors of same HP or find some used F250's that have been looked at and known good shape to up your game if the boat can carry 500 HP rating, or go brand new 4.2 in either F225 or F250 if your boat has at least a 500HP rating. Of course the new will be big money, but if you are happy with the boat and no plans of selling, new may be the way to go.

I'd get the other powerhead pulled and see what it looks like, might only have to deal with one bad one.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I wouldn't assume the port motor is as bad until you can scope it. My port was so bad that a piece of the tuner fell down onto the exhaust and the oil pan was leaking. The starboard was fine. Mine are 2006 manufacture dates.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ridge, we all live with the same worry, those of us with the same years motor. I know it does not help, but vent as much as you like as it sucks.

On the bright side, and I know there is not one right now for you....but there will be... once they are fixed, boy will you have some peace of mind and two great engines.

I also agree you could have one good engine. Wait till you check it out.
Whatever you choose, keep us updated so we can watch you get this beautiful boat back on the water. If you were closer to Texas, I’d lend a hand. Hopefully you have friends that like to fish and can give you a hand.

R

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Dude that sucks. Sorry to hear. Good advice above. Have you decided on a action plan yet?

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
There are sets of twin four stokes for sale all the time on The Hull Truth, many with the corrosion kits already done- that the direction Id be headed. Also the Yamaha group on Facebook is very good.

Reactions: apostleislandsphoto

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sorry to see the condition of your motor. I’ve always been skeptical about welding Yamaha metal in the exhaust cavity. Haven’t seen long lasting success if it is a major weld. Can weld and deck if it is minor. I would clean it up and see what is left under the corrosion and go from there.

Reaction score
It does not look that bad. See below mine was much thinner all round. Hard to tell on your picture without the scum peeled away. Thats your water jacket and water squirts into what should be the dry part which causes other problems, also water pressure/vol is lowered if it gets too bad and you can have overheat. I would fix it,( with what little info I see here), if you do, take care to use a straight edge and make sure it is as level or flat as possible in relation to the lower part. Those gaskets are made to mate machined parts and will not take up alot of imperfection.

On the bright side my port engine was clean and whole in the exhaust.? I have seen a lot of these cases involve just the stbd?

I got two years out of it or about 250 hr before I had another problem unrelated to this repair. These motors are becoming more available on the used market un rigged for about $5-6k in good shape under 1k hrs then you have an extra cowl, lower, ECU, VST , trim unit, sensors , crank, heads, pistons, stator, and all the goodies for spare or sell. most of this is high dollar stuff used.

Feel free to reach out if you have questions, I know what your going through, unfortunately.

Attachments

• before.JPG
    before.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
  • after.JPG
    after.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 47

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My brother in law and I have identical boats and engine - 2004 Sailfish with twin F225's. We both had corrosion and one of the two engines where it had spread to the head. I went ahead and repowered bc I did want to invest that much into fixing the two engines. My brother in law had them repaired. The one with head corrosion had the weld process and 2 1/2 years later I love my new 4.2 L 250's and brother in law is still running his F225's with no issues. Not sure which decision was right but time will tell.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Had a little break in the action due to work. Pulling the Port side today...

OBX Sailfish

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
As others have said...one of mine was pitted through like a shot gun blast, the port was fine.. 05 225s 300 hours

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Finally got time to pull the Port side today... More of the same. Decisions to make because I can't afford to re-power with new motors. I have to either have them welded up, re-build with new blocks (how much will that cost, parts only?), or find a pair of used power heads without this problem...
20200620_184953.jpg20200620_185013.jpg20200620_185020.jpg

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you have the right certified Yamaha Mechanic with experience in that they could take care of it what I understand!
Not sure where you’re located there’s a really good guy in Savannah my understanding!

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
To really see what kind of sealing surface you have left, you can take an orbital sander with 80 grit and sand the base of the block. Just keep the sander flat at all times. It would be beneficial to see what is under all the corrosion.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
If you have the right certified Yamaha Mechanic with experience in that they could take care of it what I understand!
Not sure where you’re located there’s a really good guy in Savannah my understanding!

So, Hampton Roads/Norfolk/VA Beach area, anybody know which Yamaha shop might be able to weld them up?

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
try calling Bubba 804-453-3611 and ask for Bubba, he might be able to help or know someone that can.. he is in Reedville.

Willy-C

Reaction score
Definitely weld them up, it’ll buy you some time to figure out a future powerhead rebuild/exchange or repower without being backed against the wall.

If you were closer I’d volunteer to weld them. Not that difficult of a job with the right person and equipment.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Definitely weld them up, it’ll buy you some time to figure out a future powerhead rebuild/exchange or repower without being backed against the wall.

If you were closer I’d volunteer to weld them. Not that difficult of a job with the right person and equipment.
Have you done it before? Results?