Yamaha Water in Engine ....indicator light back on

Viking 1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I have a 335 Freedom with 2 Yamaha 350's. Light came on last month on starboard engine that water was present.. Water was definitely observed and replaced all the filters. After several hours of running same problem came back..Light just came back on.I live Florida where we have a lot of rain and service tech thinks this could be causing problems.He told me to check the gasket on gas cap which could be the source. Freedom gas cap doesn't have a gasket and appears to sealing properly.
Any suggestions of where water is coming from. I am going to open up the pie cover plates to gas tanks tomorrow and wash. Just read that this should be done 2 times/year. Haven't been doing this.
Only 50 gallons of fuel left so probably won't have the fuel polished. I don't want fill up and have this problem occur again.
Thanks in advance

Fishtales

Reaction score
The Perko fill gasket is thin so changing it is a good idea. Could it be that you just have bad gas?

Viking 1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Sorry it seems I posted message twice....Definitely going to check the gas cap gasket or lack of gasket...Haven't ruled out bad gas yet..Many of us down here actually have it delivered right to our docks from a delivery truck. Haven't heard of any problems..
Thanks

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
not sure what is used currently, but my '02 gulfstream and '09 330 had o-rings on the caps. they do age. good luck, ron

Viking 1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Does anyone know what type of gas cap this is??...Is it missing a O-ring?

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Until you get this squared away I’d put gorilla duct taped across the cap.
How old are your tanks?
My tank wasn’t leaking but did have holes under the cross boards above the tank that allowed water to enter.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
looks like the o-ring is there, but you need to look at it from the side. the o-ring is "in" the cap's threads.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is the Perko fill. The O-ring is installed over the black threads. Even if there I'd replace it.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a problems with water in my tanks. I have the same caps. There is no obvious o-ring or gasket on mine. Probably not coming in from fuel fill. I would guess condensation in tank or bad fuel load. When you empty the engine filter you need to drop the Yamaha can filters, dump them into a plastic container, re-fill with the fuel on top and dispose the water. Here is what happened one year. See that little bit of fuel on top? The rest is water.
IMG_0258.HEIC.jpeg

I installed the Sierra fuel-water separator in place of the standard Yamaha cans. This allows me to see if I'm accumulating water and to drain it without dropping the can. They spin on to your existing filter base so you can always go back to OEM anytime.

I have had at least two seasons where I had what I believe was phase separation immediately after adding stabilizer. I installed Sierra fuel filters with clear bowls to allow me to monitor water in the fuel and easily drain.

12/14/18 Added fuel stabilizer and ran boat to mix it up and get into the engines. Didn't get far. Boat ran like crap. Barely made it back to marina. This is what came out of filters. Small amount of something on the surface (maybe fuel) and the rest water? Nothing separates out overnight. After dumping this out I installed Sierra filters and used the remaining fuel without incident.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's a Perko, vented gas fill. Yes, it should have an o-ring. Fishtales, maybe what looks like an o-ring in that picture is just the threads?

The fill "body" has a gasket - but that is just where it mates to the fiberglass - that won't affect water in the fuel (just into the boat, itself).

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Side view of the cap please. I zoomed in and can't make out if it has O-ring or not. Depending on the condition of the top of your tanks, baring a corrosion issue, the sending unit gasket is a prime candidate for water intrusion if it has failed. Inspection plates may be allowing water on to top of the tanks to leak through the sending unit gasket. Or, you might have picked up some bad gas

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Adding more info about the fill body gasket... it's also possible that water trickles down the outside of the fill hose and onto the tank... as another source to do what KY said.

Viking 1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Thanks ...got new O-rings from West Marine and the old one is flatter and brittle compared to the new one. I have never changed O-ring so I'm hoping this is the problem. Haven't ruled out bad gas since I bought it from a delivery fuel truck.. Going to pump out fuel and replace with new filters. I am also going to check the fuel filters and see if it is fresh water or salt. That should answers a lot of questions. I will let you all know what the outcome is. Thanks for helping.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Have you dropped and dumped your Yamaha filter cans to see what you have? By the time your engine alarm goes off they are mostly filled with water and pass it thru to the secondary filter on the engine. You need to be careful you don't damage your engines.

Highly unlikely your getting water into the tank via the sending unit. If so you would be leaking fuel when the tanks are full or when you put the boat up on plane and the fuel shifts to the back of the tank. Not enough water comes thru the deck plates anyway.

Fuel fill gasket? Maybe. Easy to try. Even if it is the problem you still have to get all the water out of the tanks.

In the meantime while your trying to figure it out I would try a Sierra clear bowl filter with drain or drop the cans and dump them before and after every trip to see what is in them.

My opinion is your not getting all the water out of the tanks. Work the filters hard and it will clean up.

I assume you are running pure gasoline not ethanol blend. If ethanol it could be phase separation.

Getting rid of 50 gallons of fuel will not be easy. Clean it up and burn it in the boat. Do not put it in your car/truck. Boats have better filtration and water seperators to handle bad fuel.

From a previous post:
I have a 1997 268 Islander. Couple of things I can tell you to help.

I regularly bring my boat back from a winter trip to FL and pump some ethanol free fuel out for my lawn equipment. I use a automotive fuel pump with a long power cord that plugs into my truck (keep sparks away). Hose is hooked up to fuel bulb, prime it and start pump. Fuel goes into 5 gallon fuel cans.

IMG_1144.jpeg

Underneath the deck ports I use a 18" x 18" sheet of polly to cover the business end of the fuel tank. If ports leak at least it is deflected away from the fittings.

That "goo" that you see may be the adhesive from the plywood inside your deck hatch covering the fuel tank. Mine was compromised leaking a coffee colored liquid on my deck when removed it. Tanks had sticky glue like mix on top of them.

Fuel compartment doesn't drain into bilge. There is a glassed in hose running from the front of the boat to the back. The idea is to keep leaked fuel in the fuel compartment. At the start of the project I had pumped the liquid out of the compartment (plastic hand pump) to check for fuel (there was none). After I cleaned my tanks I pumped all the water out and vacuumed out what was left.

If I were going to wash my tanks I would pull the deck hatch, clean them up and pump all the water out so the tanks are not sitting in water that has no way to drain (only evaporate).

Last edited:
Reactions: efx

Viking 1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Thanks for the advice. Having the 40+ remaining gallons of gas polished tomorrow AM. There is a company down here in St Pete that will come over to my dock behind my house and pump and polish (clean} the gas. I will be very interested to see exactly how they do it and also what comes out of the bottom of my gas tank. Both engine filters were full of water. I have shipped the Freedom 335 from North Carolina to Chicago and now St Pete with never any problems. Boat is 7 yers old.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I would be most interested in what is in the Yamaha filter cans.

Polishing will clean everything up. Is hard to monitor though without clear bowls. If you move the boat around a lot your seeing different fuel freshness and possibly ethanol fuel. FL fuel is great. No ethanol, turns over, you should be fine there.

Reactions: eppem