Yes

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I repowered a trophy pro just alittle bigger but went with Yamaha's. The reason is dealer reputation and service after the sale for me. The dealer is located right next door to the place I keep my boat.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would go with 140hp Suzuki's or Yamaha F150's. Both will give you the reliablity for twins, enough power and will be good on fuel. Seems most owner's with twin 150's are very happy with their selection and a few guys have repowered 232's with 140 Suzuki's and also liked them as well. Twin 200 four strokes may be too much weight for your boat and year, it may exceed what you can safely handle. Twin 200's would give you a good amount of power and speed, but in the NE where you fish there are not enough days where you can really open the boat up and use the power, for the extra expense for more horsepower, it would be cheaper to run smaller twin's at a higher rpm for those few random super calm days we do get if you really wanted to run hard. If speed is a concern, twin 150 or 200 HPDI's would also be a very good combo. They would probably put you at the max weight your boat could handle but would still give you good fuel efficiency and would push the boat well. The 150 and 200's were problem free, it was the larger HPDI's that had issues, so ignore any bad feedback about an HPDI you may hear, it is not true. I had the second HPDI repowered boat in NJ, it was from the first release and the engine ran great and my Dad and I were overly pleased with it. Some may suggest a 150 E-Tec, but reports have been mixed about them, some are very pleased and others say they are over rated so it is hard to really tell if they are worth repowering with. I used to love Evinrudes, but since the mid 90's they have spiraled downwards and have always been behind in technology since, that has just made me personally a little weary about them. Another four stroke option would be the Merc 150-200HP Verado's. There is a light weight 4 cylinder 200HP verado that might be a very nice engine for your boat, lighter weight then most engines, and extra horsepower, and being a 4 cylinder it should give you very good performance.
I personally am a Yamaha fan, I have had nothing but good luck with them and they are very proven engines, but if I were to repower my 265 in the future, it would either be with another pair of F225's, but I would take a serious look into a pair of Verado's. The Verado performance and speed numbers have been very good and the earlier kinks that many had have been worked out. My only draw back is the supercharger, it does improve efficiency, but I'm not sure how it will handle years of a saltwater environment, only time can really test that.
You have many options here, and it is hard to tell what to go to, an F150 or Zuke 140 have been ran on older 232's and performed well, that would be the safe and reliable route. If you are looking for more speed and maybe some new technology, a Verado might be a good option for you. More importantly, before you buy anything, make sure there is a local dealer, and go talk to the mechanics, make sure that you feel comfortable having them service your engines, and check around the docks about their rep. There is no sense in buying an engine if the mechanic is not good, an engine can be a great one, but if you have a bad mechanic working on it it will be worthless in a few years. As far as weight goes, I think you are limited to 150HP with a four stroke unless you went to the verado, the 4 cylinder series are light above 150hp. If you go to a 2 stroke you can handle up to 200hp.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Basically you probably want to stick to a 4 cyl 4 stroke or V6 2 stroke. Zuke has a 175 and the small Verado goes to 200 but you probably don't need twin 200's anyway.

Don't you have 140's now? I can't see going to less but be honest with yourself and ask how much more power do you need?

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Pete, Have you thought of going with a single since GW sold them like that as well? You would save in so many ways and with todays big outboards you have a nice selection. I know if I could have done it I would have in a heartbeat.

BirdRock

Reaction score
Just the facts:

94 gulfstream w/ single yammie 250. Replaced it last summer with an 05 300 HPDI and it's been great. Despite the bad press on HPDIs we got a low hour engine with the warranty through April 2009 and the price was right.

Didn't want the weight of a 250 4 stroke or the lower torque.

So far it's been great. I think you have twins right? I'd stick with twins if that's the case.

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Twin Suzuki DF150 or DF175. 475 lbs ea. 6 year warranty. I see plenty of them on the water, granted not as many as the Yamaha, but have not heard or read any bad reports. Oh yea don't forget the 6 year warranty.

gw204

Reaction score
Twin 150 Optis will probably give you the BEST fuel economy and performance and would be my choice.

OakIsland

Reaction score
*DO* check weights. ONe of the reasons I went with the Suzukis is that the 4S weighed less than the original 2S Yamahas and I got to reclaim half a transom for storage by removing the 2 cycle oil tanks and plumbing.

bay son

Reaction score
The 300 Suzuki is a great choice for a single. I have 100 hours on mine and it is great.

SlimJim

Reaction score
Myself, I would never go back to a single from twins. I would go with twins and 175hp or 200hp. I would go 200 Yamaha HPDI because of weight and fuel burn and speed. You get all 3 with these. When I was looking hard at the 232 last year, I had a few owners tell me they would not go lower then 175 HP with twins, and they would not go single. Take it for what its worth.

captbone

Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks.

I would recommend a single. Twins are nothing but double trouble.

I would suggest

300hp Evinrude Etec
250hp Suzuki
250hp Optimax
250hp Yamaha

I suggest these because they are all less than 670lbs and have NO electronic controls which increase the price and complexity.

OakIsland

Reaction score
IMHO....on a boat, *any* sort of redundancy is a good idea. Plan for the worst scenario and you won't be disappointed.....

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
I see you have a bracket on your boat, it is not made to support the new 4-s engines, they are much heavier than the old 2-s on there now. You wouldnt want to put those nice new engines on there and have them and the bracket fall off 10 miles offshore would you? If I repower I think im going to go with 150 or 200 E-Tecs, but thats just me.

SlimJim

Reaction score
captbone said:
Different strokes for different folks.

I would recommend a single. Twins are nothing but double trouble.

I would suggest

300hp Evinrude Etec
250hp Suzuki
250hp Optimax
250hp Yamaha

I suggest these because they are all less than 670lbs and have NO electronic controls which increase the price and complexity.
I fish off shore in real bad weather, so I would perfer twins for boat handling is much better with twins and in close spaces you can spin with twins on a dime.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Twins all the way, the 232 and larger boats really need twins, most owner's do not like the boat setup with a single. I go agree with Capt Kenny, you will likely need a new bracket unless your is in presine condition and the engines you pick are close in weight to your current ones. Some of the 4 cylinder 4 strokes would be light enough to work on most brackets and that boat, a 6 cylinder would not work at all. I say run the gines you have now into the ground then buy new ones, by then there may be new technology out there or lighter engines, or as you had stated you may be ready to move up in size before then.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Gradyfish is right on..

Twins are the way to go...I have an '07 232, with twin 200 4-strokes.
Even if the 4-strokes are not an option for you weight-wise, that boat is perfect with twins.

wilson

Reaction score
repowered my 25 sail with 2-200 hpdi's from 200 johnny's, lot less fuel...absolute rocket boosters!!!! a underpowered boat will always be a dissapointment. i could haul concrete with that boat!!