06 yamaha 225 hp dry exhaust question

jugs06282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
not trying to start this conversation over again , my question is does anyone have 06 or newer 3.3L 225 or 250 hp that has NOT changed the mid sections and has does not show any signs of rotting ? just curious if any of them were not affected or if they all suck

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
i cant help via personal experience because i dont have records of what was done by previous owners. my mechanic said mine seem to have been replaced, but no way to confirm 100%. i have heard of people getting long trouble-free lives out of them. from what i gather, there seems to be some anecdotal correlation between being over propped and increased likelihood of having the issue

jugs06282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
i was told the same thing from a yamaha tech . mine are original with 1200 hrs was thinking im sitting on a time bomb

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had 2 F250s 2007 one had the corrosion issue at 500 hours and four years. The other was scoped and good after 14 years and 1200 hours before I sold them.

jugs06282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
that what i was hoping to hear , hopefully ill go 2 for 2 lol

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've got a 2004 Yamaha F225 on my boat with around 1k hours. I had the lower unit dropped and the mid section inspected when I purchased it, of which the dealer said it looked great, and without any issues at all. As alluded to above, it seems like it's something that CAN happen at just about any point, though not that it always WILL. I've heard, and I don't know how accurate all of these stories are, that it doesn't necessarily reflect upon maintenance or flushing the engines or anything as it's a dry exhaust thing, not from where the water runs. I'm somewhat of the opinion that it might just be bad castings from a certain time frame and from a certain location where the outboards were built. Like on my previous boat, it had a Honda 130 hp four stroke on it, and they had a recall on several serial numbers where the castings on the blocks were affected because of an issue. Fortunately the motor that I had wasn't one of the numbers that was affected, and I checked that beforehand. But again imo, and while I don't have any proof of this, it seems like it might be something similar on the Yamaha where there were maybe some bad castings on the dry exhaust area. Otherwise, I'm not sure how some people have the issue whereas others don't, especially when a lot of people who have had the issue state that they are religious on maintenance and/or take it to their mechanic every year. Then on the other hand, I'm sure there's been a good deal of people who lack doing much, if any maintenance at all, that likely have never had the issue and probably didn't even know that there was one.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Back then one of the issues was the coating on the parts not doing the job. Heat, saltwater ate away at the mid sections. It was mostly reported on the F225 and some F250s. If the parts were made by the same manufacurer, you may have the issue. Seemed to be a lot dependent type of issue, so best way to know is to scope the engine. Very easy to do with the right camera when you drop the lower unit.

jugs06282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
yes we all have read about or delt with this stuff till nauseum , so we have heard all the horror stories , i was curious if there was an equal amount of motors that never had this issue , or maybe 30 or 40 percent . anyway im probably gonna just keep running them until symptoms arrive . they were scoped a couple years back and looked ok . thanks for your input

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The thought process in the back of my mind has always been... "ok yeah, you've probably got a few thousand different stories from guys online that have had the issue... but how many tens of thousands of guys haven't had the issue?" Again, I can't give any specifics on numbers but I imagine there were likely tens of thousands of these motors produced from what... 2002 until 2008 or 2009, which seem to be the most "problematic years"? I'd definitely be curious to know, and have even myself done a half arsed Google search to see if they have any figures for the number of these outboards produced during this time. Again, I couldn't find any, but I imagine a Yamaha F225/F250 that ran for almost 10 years likely had tens of thousands of units produced, maybe even more? Lastly, to be fair to Yamaha, I imagine part of the numbers have likely been skewed to where the person posting didn't actually have the issue but it was their friends, gfs dad's, brother's uncle who had a former roommate in college that had the issue. As mentioned above, run it until you have the issue if you'd like, or drop the lower unit every couple years and double check if you really want to. For those running it until they do have the issue, I would recommend a kicker motor or a Sea Tow membership in the event that you do have an issue when it's on the water. Or, if one really wanted to, I suppose they could always trade in their current outboard(s) for money and use that to repower, if they were really that worried about the issue.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I did them proactively and prob could have waited 3-5 years more. At that point your committed so you do it. It is real and I suspect all have the issue given sufficient time. I never saw the heat map, but was told by my dealer that warmer water were affected greater.

seasick

Reaction score
Scoping the mid section is a start but the real threat is corrosion in the oil pan. Often you won't see that until you either pull the power head, or it's too late and water seeps into the oil, Oil can also seep into the exhaust. Sometimes the only indication you get is when the motor blows up.
The really odd aspect of the corrosion is that there are documented cases of twin installations (factory installs) where one motor has the corrosion and the other doesn't. I suppose routine scoping during routine LU maintenance can't hurt, it is not a 100% accurate test.
For me, I would just avoid Yami 225 250 built before 2008 :)

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 2006 F250 TUR. It has about 1100 hours and as far as i know no signs of corrosion and the problem I had was one valve and that was fixed by my mechanic (cost was high !), but still working fine , when i can uise it.