12V Circuit Breaker Tripping for Fresh Water Pump

mwlake

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Trying to solve a problem with the fresh water pump on my 1999 Bimini 306.

If I press the reset button right before I turn on the switch, the pump operates correctly. But a moment after turning off the switch the circuit pops and kills the power. If I reset the breaker, the pump will operate fine again.

I've tried replacing the circuit breaker but the new breaker trips like the old breaker. The breaker amperage is correct for the pump. I'm confused as to why the breaker trips after the switch has been turned off.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts from this group?

seasick

Reaction score
There may be a problem with the switch. It may have something internal that shorts the power to ground when in the off position. I assume the switch is a console mounted type like a rocker switch. In any case, if possible pull the connector with the wire that feeds the pump and try touching it to another switch like a spare to see if that breaker pops, If it doesn't, you probably need a new switch

mwlake

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a rocker switch. Will try the alternate switch as you suggest.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If that does not work, I'd change the pump. The initial inrush current maybe your issue tripping the breaker.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
failure when turning off and operation when turned on supports switch. switches are cheaper than pumps

mwlake

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
There may be a problem with the switch. It may have something internal that shorts the power to ground when in the off position. I assume the switch is a console mounted type like a rocker switch. In any case, if possible pull the connector with the wire that feeds the pump and try touching it to another switch like a spare to see if that breaker pops, If it doesn't, you probably need a new switch
It was the switch, thanks!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Definitely try swapping over to another switch for shitzengigs.

Freshwater pumps have a pressure switch in them right? they only pump when the pressure is low. Like when you open a water valve.
are you able to run water? Does the pump run all the time when you turn on the switch? or only when you first turn it on and when you open a faucet?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Could be a weak circuit breaker (swap or replace breaker).
Pump could be binding up after running a while or drawing more current with age (replace pump).
Possibly a old high resistance switch (replace). Jumper out to test.

My advise on pump replacement is a.) don't bother to repair it unless it's almost new and b.) get exact pump for replacement and avoid the drama of screw holes and hoses lining up.

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
I just went through this with the raw water washdown pump. Pump was bad only 2 1/2 years old.
New pump 300.00