150 OX66 will not start...????

cgmiller

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I just dragged my pop's boat 1365 miles to the Keys and I can't get the engine to start..which is very odd for this motor. As I do every year when I tow it down here for dad, I hooked up the battery, hooked up and the water and hit the key....for 6 years it has fired right up..I checked to make sure all the wires were hooked up, removed the fuel filter and filled it up with fuel and replaced the spark plugs. I checked a plug on each side of the engine and stuck one of the old plugs into a wire and I had spark when turning the engine over. There is fuel in the clear bowl and I can hear the electric fuel pump turn on when I turn the key....I am kind of stumped as it was running fine when we winterized the engine in November. The only thing we did different was the take off the main fuel filter under to cowling and dump the dirt out of it. I think I had the engine running after that while I was spraying fogging oil in the carbs......any help would be appreciated as I am only down here in Marathon for 5 days then fly back to NJ for 2 months.....

georgemjr

Reaction score
Forgive the question, but do you have the kill switch cord attached? I spent some time trying to trouble shoot my engine years ago, just to realize I had not attached that...

cgmiller

Reaction score
Gents,

Thanks for the suggestions...I have also spent time trying to diagnose and engine that would not start (25 Honda 4-stroke) hanging on the back of one of my Shamrocks)...that turned out to be the lanyard that I found while waiting for the Honda guy to show up.....actually what it turned out to be was a stuck check valve..there is a little plastic check valve between the fuel filter and the VST tank..it was stuck closed..as soon as the yamaha tech opened it up and removed the internal components, the engine started right up....had I known what it was, I may have removed it...I was looking at and telling my dad I was wonding if it was a check valve or something..well they took it out as they have done a hundred times in the past down here in the Keys where the boats run year round....