1983 Seafarer 226 Restoration

RTNEPTUNE

Reaction score
You may want to replace all your thru-hulls with new . I found hairline cracks in just about every one of mine . I replaced all with SS . But it is a major pain in the Ass ! A few I still haven't been able to reconnect I just plugged them for now so seawater wouldn't get in . I still can't figure out how they did it at the factory . Nice video .

RTNEPTUNE

Reaction score
I was wondering how your project was going? I just launched mine for the first time yesterday . To recap , I have a 90 226 seafarer , I put a bracket on the back and mounted an 06 250hp E-tec
for power . I have to say what a great combination ! The boat performed perfectly , you will be very happy with this model boat .

UCPA111

Reaction score
Project is slow...and sometimes steady. :) Working gets in the way, but pays the bills! Next step is to build the fuel tank area and supports and get it installed and connected. Then, the transom will come. I am curious where you got your bracket?

RTNEPTUNE

Reaction score
My bracket was found on Craigslist used . I had to strip off all the old nasty paint then brought it to a powder coating guy he applied a marine epoxy . looks brand new now . Here in FL many used
brackets pop up for sale . Mine is an Armstrong brand . It works great and the boat handles very well . It gives you so much more deck space also .

UCPA111

Reaction score
Project Update:
Removed old transom and portion of liner and gunwale caps.
Installed new the hull fittings. It was a major pain, but got it done. Used the Marelon ones. Bought some expensive hose as well and SS hose clamps. You basically need to have thin, small, tough arms and hands and fingers...and a boat load (pun intended) of patience. Glad to have that part done!
Removed fuel tank from aft position. Scrapped it. Purchased new from Patriot Marine Fabricating in NJ. Beautiful tank and good price. Came well packaged.
Ground old fuel tank area and forward compartment area with angle grinder with 40-60 grit flap disc wheels. Removed old paint. Removed old tank blocks from hull.
Removed old bulkhead between fuel tank locations.
Installed new coosa board blocks in forward compartment to match tank angle.
Installed custom aluminum angle the length of the compartment - each side - and epoxied and rivets deck to angle as well as angle to stringers. This made flat decks and secured everything well.
Laid in 1708 along stringers with West System 105 epoxy.
Installed new coosa bulkhead between compartments and used 1708 mat on both sides
Ground taper to both sides of cutout transom. Made template and began layup of 1708 mat to fill in transom cutout to make full height.
Cut 1" Coosa board to make 2 pieces. Laminated together with West System 105 and chopped strand mat.

Next phases:
- Install coosa transom into the boat.
- prime and paint fuel tank and hold areas
- Install fuel tank and secure into location
- Order flotation bracket and install
- Replace aft liner and make custom cap for top of transom.
- Rebuild deck plates (they were soft - started to remove old wood from bottom side of them).
- Redo all wiring and power panel
- New switch panel in helm
- New motor
- A million odds and ends! LOL!

some videos of progression:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr1_ICTGxHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouc9tlxvgSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQAZ6HWkwC4

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
nice work! I've done a transom with pourable Carbon-Core but I had considered using Coosa.

For a motor, have you considered the new 4 cylinder 4 stroke 200s from Suzuki and /or Yamaha?
You'd save some weight and probably get 40 mph and down to a 2mph troll without a kicker.
You'd save bunch of $$ too, especially with a zuki.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Hey all....made some significant progress the last couple weeks. Ordered a new Custom Marine Weld aluminum bracket. They were willing to customize with more flotation. I also looked at several other manufacturers. The proof will be in the pudding as they say...and I look forward to the result in 5-7 weeks.

Checkout my Youtube page for updates https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCATvLu ... RX0gH9FiMQ I made several new videos.