1986 24 offshore grady drive reseal?

lime4x4

Reaction score
This fall i will be derigging my twin 150 yamaha's to replace the hose covering for the lines and wires. Since the boat is almost 30 years old should i also remove the engine bracket (grady drive) and reseal it to the transom?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Are you getting water in the bracket or any evidence around the bolt holes on the inside? If not, I wouldn't try to 'fix' it ... :wink:

lime4x4

Reaction score
No signs of water getting past the mounting bolts. Just didn't know if do to the age if it should be resealed.

Shutterbug

Reaction score
No signs, don't bother. Pretty sure it's sealed with 5200 so it may be a possibility of damaging the gelcoat or more trying to break the seal. If any water fresh or salt is entering the bracket it's probably thru the access plate(s). Having had this age bracket, mine didn't bolt across the top, just down the side, middle and across the bottom. The top would not touch the transom in some places, beware of that, so water could seep inside too.

I'd be more concerned with transom rot and the coating on the bracket with this age boat/bracket.

lime4x4

Reaction score
The bracket isn't in bad shape some light corrosion on the bottom. I'm planing on striping it and repaiting it over the winter. I did find a little wet wood in the transom where the thru hull drains were leaking. When i installed a transducer at the bottom i got dry wood shavings.