1987 Sefarer 228 Engine Mounting Height?

thill

Reaction score
I have a new-to-me Grady 228G that I bought with a blown 225 Johnson on the back. When I pulled the old motor, I did not check to see where the motor was mounted. I put a 200 HP Evinrude Ficht on the back, and not knowing the proper height, I put it at the lowest setting.

It runs great, but it feels like the motor is always dragging. When I trim up enough to where it feels better, the boat wants to porpoise. So I know the motor needs to come up on the transom.

Question to other 228 owners: How high do you have your motor mounted?

Judging by the amount I have to trim the motor, I'm almost inclined to raise the motor all the way up, and see what happens. But I would rather listen to experience, and try to get it right the first time.

So let me know what your sweet spot is.

Thanks!

-TH

generalee

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have been researching options for a new prop for our Gulfstream. In the process I was advised about how to determine if your outboard is mounted too low. See if this link will work for you: veradoclub.com/index.php?topic=137.0
If not, visit this web site link to the video. http://www.propgods.com
Hope this helps.

grady_22

Reaction score
I have run the same boat witha 250 ficht and played around with props and engine mounting height considerably. The ideal height is 2nd highest bolt hole. If you want the best fuel economy and stern lift, I would use a 15 x 15.75 BRP Rebel prop. I was getting about 2.6 nm per gallon with my setup. Fuel flow measured with a Lowrance EP-60R. Your motor is close to the same displacement with obviously less on the top end, but should easily spin that prop to 5500 trimmed out at the mounting height I stated.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
General "rule of thumb" is that cavitation plate on lower unit above prop should be even with, or slightly higher than hull bottom directly in front of it. For each 1' engine is mounted away from transom, it should be raised 1". example- If engine is on bracket 2 ' back from transom, cavitation plate should be 2" higher than hull bottom of boat in front of it. Again, these are "rule of thumb" starting point mounting locations, and other variables may come into play on your specific vessel.

thill

Reaction score
grady_22 said:
I have run the same boat witha 250 ficht and played around with props and engine mounting height considerably. The ideal height is 2nd highest bolt hole. If you want the best fuel economy and stern lift, I would use a 15 x 15.75 BRP Rebel prop. I was getting about 2.6 nm per gallon with my setup. Fuel flow measured with a Lowrance EP-60R. Your motor is close to the same displacement with obviously less on the top end, but should easily spin that prop to 5500 trimmed out at the mounting height I stated.

Grady22,
Thank you so much for that information. You are the only 228 owner to give me real-world data across three message boards.

I'm going to go out and lift the motor this morning, and then take it for a test run. I suspect the performance gain is going to be substantial. On my offshore trips last week, I was averaging 1.6 MPG, (not NM) which was not impressive at all.

Thanks again!

-Tony

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
While you're testing, look at the plate when at cruise speed or higher. It should be just slightly above the water, but still getting splashed. That's the important part, too low and you drag. Too high and you ventilate (lose traction) ...