1995 272 Sailfish Steering Wheel rocks

JB

Reaction score
Hi, Hard to describe but here goes, my steering wheel rocks, tilts side to side,
it steers great but not sure how to tighten it from rocking, I run in rough seas of buzzards bay & do not want it to break some day.
any one experienced this rocking effect? any ideas?
Thanks in advance

River Rat

Reaction score
Does the whole assembly rock, or just the wheel? If just the wheel, pop the plastic cover in the center. The bolt could be loose. If it's the whole assembly, check the mounting to the dash. Some screws may have worked their way loose. Seems like if the seals were bad causing the 'rock' it'd be leaking fluid. All of this is assuming you have sea star hydraulic steering

JB

Reaction score
hmmm... just the wheel.... I did take the black central wheel cover off & there is a good size bolt there but it seemed tight.... so I shyed away from doing anything else ...it's been this way for a while, couple of years even... I will try again once I pull her by the end of the month.
Yes, hydrolic & no leaks, steers like a dream
thanks for getting back,

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Last year my tilt steering wheel locked up as i was going down canal. Took it apart & bolts on the center shaft had come loose & fell out. As i recall, not hard to take apart. Take large nut off & you will need a steering wheel puller. Just remove the washers & parts in order & hopefully you will see the culprit. I tightened all up, added grease & put back together Good Luck

Jaeger Grady

Reaction score
Below is what I got from Teleflex, I have not replaced it yet

1st email
Thanks for the email. This amount of play is not normal. The tilt portion of your helm pump should be replaced with part # HA6523. you will be able to order this part from your local marine parts dealer

2nd email
Hey there - usually this type of problem is just really annoying, as long as your fasteners that attached the tilt portion to the helm pump wheel are tightened you will likely only have to deal with the loose wheel, but it should not break free

I have seen customers run with loose tilts for years