1997 Marlin 30 balsa core moisture

Graybeard

Reaction score
I had my 2nd boat for 19 years and never replaced the plastic through hulls. My current Freedon 225 has all metal through hulls. The plastic through hulls on the 1979 I’m looking at are all 20 years old. The one that was leaking is bisected by the skum/bottom paint line. The broaker/builder said the transom was not effected. I sure hope things turn out OK.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Graybeard said:
My offer for the 1997 Marlin 30 was accepted yesterday. I’m happy but The wife still insists it’s too small and wanted an Express 33. But I had issues getting up to the bow for docking, it was a 2003 with the Yamaha F225’s with the dry exhaust corrosion problem and it was in NJ while we’re in Maryland. It was twice as a expensive so the bank said no. The Marlin 30 is local, being brokered by a local boat builder, is only a short cruise away from my slip at the marina and has 2009 F250’s that are 1 year older with less hours than the F200 on my current GW. The hull moisture is the only concern, the marine survey and sea trial will be next week and the surveyor will use thermal imaging to check for moisture. Everyone is telling me any 20 year old hull will have some moisture, but the issue is if the balsa core has crumbled anywhere. GW told me the stringers and transom should be fine. The broaker/builder said they did all the work/maintenacce on the boat and has no qualms about using it in the Chesapeake Bay. He did say it’s not the boat to run charter Tuna chunking trips 60 miles out in the ocean to the Baltimore canyon. The survey will be the desciding factor and If the boat is seaworthy it will seal the deal.

The Marlin rides much larger than you think. #1200 loaded up. You can go as far as you want in that boat.

Graybeard

Reaction score
I’m good with the Marlin 30 over the Express 33 the wife wanted. I didn’t care for the Center helm position on the 33 and I had difficulty getting my 65 year old self around to the bow to tie up in our slip. Plus I can get away with a smaller less expensive expensive slip at out marina. Most importantly I can afford it while the Express 33 was beyond our reach financially

Graybeard

Reaction score
Just in follow up the marine survey found the port side hull was seriously delaminated and the starboard side was getting there. The repair costs would exceed the value of the repaired hull. The surveror and the owner of the repair shop I was referred to both said to walk. They both said balsa cored Grady Whites are all subject to hull delamination and moisture issues. So it appears all the Grady Whites in the size and price range I’m looking at either have the Yamaha’s with the dry exhaust corrosion problems or delaminated balsa cores. Downsizing is not an option so I have to see if I can swing a bigger down payment and a bigger loan. Very disappointing.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Although disappointing now, it is for the best. I love my Marlin but would not want to deal with a survey result like yours. Good luck on the hunt for a larger boat.

Randy

Graybeard

Reaction score
Yea.....it was very disheartening to see the beautiful boat from the outside, go on the wonderful sea trial first and find out the hull was junk. The repair shop owner told me to buy a moisture meter and check anything I’m interested in and if it’s a “wet” hull walk away and only pay to survey “dry” boats. My meter should arrive next week. But today I took my wife to look at a 2003 Marlin 30 and she told me to make an offer, so I did. Now I’ll wait for a reply and pray

MA208

Reaction score
I had a survey on a 2006 Marlin which showed hull delamination as well. No moisture, it was well above the waterline near the bow. But a large area. I walked. The other common areas are around the old plastic thru hulls and the vent for the generator exhaust. There is a 33express up here that is all wet on both sides. Multiple surveys. Still on the market. It seems rare; but tread cautiously.

Graybeard

Reaction score
It was hard to walk away. And the broker was irritated at the survey results and thought they were overly harsh. So he’s dragging his feet on refunding my deposit. But the thermal imaging doesn’t lie.

Frank G

Reaction score
Hi John.
Just a heads up.We may put our Express 330 on the market mid next year. Good luck with your search.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Just in follow up.....I got my deposit back and signed a sales agreement for a newer, but more expensive, 2003 Marlin 30. I’m trying to schedule the survey but I need several days of above freezing weather, which the long range Wx forecast says is a week away. Frozen balsa cores trick the moisture meter and sound solid. Funny thing is neither the finance or insurance companies are requiring a survey. Tempted to go without but afraid of screwing myself

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A wise man once told me when it comes to your wife.

“When I wake up in the morning I asked myself do I want to be happy or do I want to be right. “

Sounds like you need to move on from the Marlin and get what the wife wants.