2000, 272 sailfish compared to a 2001 282 sailfish. What is the difference

Hammertime

Reaction score
What is the difference between these two different model boats? Someone said GW changed the windshield on the 282. What else. Is the 282 a better boat overall?

I am looking at a 2000 272 sailfish today with the original ox225 motors, 700 hrs. I m not sure if I should just wait for a 282 sailfish to come around with 4 stroke motors or stick with the old ox225 and repower at some point down the road.

Last edited:

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
We just sold a 1999 272 with intentions of upgrading to a 282 or Marlin in a few years. In the mean time we found a great price on an Islander that we will use until then. The 1999 and up 272 should be the same from the ruble down, bother with he extended running surface etc. The interior layout changed some I believe, basic layout the same but different creature comforts. Unless you find some nice running takeoffs and you really what 4 strokes the price would really have to reflect that for me. Defiantly thirsty with the OX66's, about 1.25mpg with the 225's.

I loved our 272, it was our dream boat for some time, but timing made sense to list it and see what happens, and it sold right away tot he first person who saw it. I was going to try and stay boatless for a year or two but that didn't happen. This is an article I read while ago written when he 282 was released that explains the differences well.

Reactions: Hammertime

Hammertime

Reaction score
We just sold a 1999 272 with intentions of upgrading to a 282 or Marlin in a few years. In the mean time we found a great price on an Islander that we will use until then. The 1999 and up 272 should be the same from the ruble down, bother with he extended running surface etc. The interior layout changed some I believe, basic layout the same but different creature comforts. Unless you find some nice running takeoffs and you really what 4 strokes the price would really have to reflect that for me. Defiantly thirsty with the OX66's, about 1.25mpg with the 225's.

I loved our 272, it was our dream boat for some time, but timing made sense to list it and see what happens, and it sold right away tot he first person who saw it. I was going to try and stay boatless for a year or two but that didn't happen. This is an article I read while ago written when he 282 was released that explains the differences well.

I looked at the 2000 272 sailfish yesterday and we passed. for $30,000 without a trailer and $35,000, did not entice me to buy. The boat was not taken care of and needed a lot of attention. The transom showed signs of swelling under the cap plate. Not good.

I'll keep looking but will focus more on the 282, years up to 2004. I know Grady changed the design slightly starting in 2005, but the price dictates my purchase..

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Had a 2000 Sailfish which I purchased new and sold in 2012. Great boat and well built. How do you you know the hours on the OX66s (225s), mine didn’t have an hour meter.

Hammertime

Reaction score
Had a 2000 Sailfish which I purchased new and sold in 2012. Great boat and well built. How do you you know the hours on the OX66s (225s), mine didn’t have an hour meter.
Boat meter going down the steps into the cabin, right side. Not ever accurate but close enough