208 Adventure Fresh Water Tank

bicyclops

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2001 208 and I was wondering if it comes standard with a fresh water tank. It did not come with a cockpit shower, but the person I bought it from caulked the acess panel, so I cannot easily check.

seasick

Reaction score
bicyclops said:
I just purchased a 2001 208 and I was wondering if it comes standard with a fresh water tank. It did not come with a cockpit shower, but the person I bought it from caulked the acess panel, so I cannot easily check.
Not standard and it was the factory that caulked the panel.

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: 208 Adventure Fresh Water Tank - Access Panel question

Our previous 208 had the fresh water tank, but our new to us 2003 does not. I don't miss the option and prefer a simpler boat, but I really liked the 80+ lbs of weight it added there and I'm wondering how easy it is to pop that access hatch and then to reseal it. It can't be that major... has anyone done it and what caulking would you use for proper reseal? I'm thinking of securely adding some ballast there in its place to get that weight back. (I'm imagining there's a dead-space where the fresh water tank sits- is that right?) Over the years I found that the heavier my 208 is, the better she performs in the rougher stuff. Thanks in advance for any advice. Next would be to call Grady-White who are always helpful, but maybe you've opened and sealed this hatch before.
Cheers,
Jim

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Re: 208 Adventure Fresh Water Tank - Access Panel question

KingJ said:
Our previous 208 had the fresh water tank, but our new to us 2003 does not. I don't miss the option and prefer a simpler boat, but I really liked the 80+ lbs of weight it added there and I'm wondering how easy it is to pop that access hatch and then to reseal it. It can't be that major... has anyone done it and what caulking would you use for proper reseal? I'm thinking of securely adding some ballast there in its place to get that weight back. (I'm imagining there's a dead-space where the fresh water tank sits- is that right?) Over the years I found that the heavier my 208 is, the better she performs in the rougher stuff. Thanks in advance for any advice. Next would be to call Grady-White who are always helpful, but maybe you've opened and sealed this hatch before.
Cheers,
Jim

I've done it. It's fairly simple. The hardest part was removing the old sealant. I resealed with GE Silicone II in the almond color which is a very close match to the Grady gelcoat color. The compartment the water tank would be in is totally dead space, so you should be able to add ballast and seal it off easily.

P.S. Congrats on the new purchase, KingJ!

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey thanks OnoEric! That is very helpful. My wife was lobbying for the 208 over the 209 & 180 and I’m glad to have listen to her. She is over the moon with the boat and me too. It's nice having owned one before since I already know the boat so well and what I want to do to customize things. We bought her from John S. at Anchor Marine in Farmingdale NJ with less than 300 hours, and was fortunate enough to have the resourceful Ed Marberger from Efm Enterprises tow the boat out for us on his new trailer. We connected with Ed via uShip with 100% satisfaction fyi.
Now comes the fun part of outfitting “the new boat”! Thanks again.

fullphase

Reaction score
I too just bought a 208, and it appears to have not come with the fresh water tank, however the previous owner mounted the wash down pump in that compartement. I had to get access to it, as it was not working (that issue on another thread) but I was suprised what a neat little compartement it was.....total waste of space. It was easy to open, the silicon easy to remove.

I was thinking on not sealing it back up tight but using as a storage area for tools, or items not used everyday. Any thoughts/opinions on this? I do realize some water will be able to leak down from the deck into the bilge. Is that a huge deal that I am not considering?

thoughts....?

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
KingJ said:
Hey thanks OnoEric! That is very helpful. My wife was lobbying for the 208 over the 209 & 180 and I’m glad to have listen to her. She is over the moon with the boat and me too. It's nice having owned one before since I already know the boat so well and what I want to do to customize things. We bought her from John S. at Anchor Marine in Farmingdale NJ with less than 300 hours, and was fortunate enough to have the resourceful Ed Marberger from Efm Enterprises tow the boat out for us on his new trailer. We connected with Ed via uShip with 100% satisfaction fyi.
Now comes the fun part of outfitting “the new boat”! Thanks again.

It's nice to have a space that's warm and dry. Makes those early morning crossings a bit more tolerable!

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
fullphase said:
I too just bought a 208, and it appears to have not come with the fresh water tank, however the previous owner mounted the wash down pump in that compartement. I had to get access to it, as it was not working (that issue on another thread) but I was suprised what a neat little compartement it was.....total waste of space. It was easy to open, the silicon easy to remove.

I was thinking on not sealing it back up tight but using as a storage area for tools, or items not used everyday. Any thoughts/opinions on this? I do realize some water will be able to leak down from the deck into the bilge. Is that a huge deal that I am not considering?

thoughts....?

The biggest issue I see is that, at least on mine, the compartment is completely sealed underneath and does not drain into the bilge. So you'd have to either sponge out any water that got into the compartment after every trip or drill and seal drain holes through the bulkhead into the bilge.

fullphase

Reaction score
ahh...thanks for that! There is some water in there, but I just assumed it drained to the bilge, I will have to check on that one!

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi guys, my 2006 208 came with the fresh water tank access sealed. I removed the seal (easily cut out) installed hinges, slam latch and hatch spring. I installed a false plywood floor with holes so any water drains into the bilge. It does stay fairly dry with a 1/2 inch rubber seal around the under side of the hatch cover. Great for fishing gear storage etc. Do not need to pack or use fresh water for wash down. Pack any water for overnight camping in a clean washable mini water barrel with a spigot. Have raw water wash down pump installed in the bilge so hatch area is uncluttered. Cheers trapper

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes for sure! Being able to go below and take a nap or cuddle is a major bonus. I forgot how spacious and comfortable the cabins are on the 208. The cushions and interior etc are basically unused on our newbie. Everything works. Thanks again, John and A.M.

Thanks for all of this information about the back deck compartment. I’d rather wait to open mine until I get the ballast, so this in invaluable to be able to “see” in there beforehand. Can anyone measure the inside diameter of the area, or post an image? No worries if not- thanks again.

I plan to get a few refillable water jug(s) with spigots to have on board. As for raw water wash down, a bucket works great.

Without a hardtop or tower bars it’s not so easy to hang a heavy full solar sun-shower. One remedy was to buy 2 and only fill them up halfway, one for each of us.

This looks interesting. (Note: Today the page says ‘no longer available’ but, fyi)
NEMO Helio Pressure Shower $99
http://www.rei.com/product/850667/nemo- ... ure-shower

Have a great weekend,
Jim

fullphase

Reaction score
trapper said:
Hi guys, my 2006 208 came with the fresh water tank access sealed. I removed the seal (easily cut out) installed hinges, slam latch and hatch spring. I installed a false plywood floor with holes so any water drains into the bilge. It does stay fairly dry with a 1/2 inch rubber seal around the under side of the hatch cover. Great for fishing gear storage etc. Do not need to pack or use fresh water for wash down. Pack any water for overnight camping in a clean washable mini water barrel with a spigot. Have raw water wash down pump installed in the bilge so hatch area is uncluttered. Cheers trapper

that is what I would like to do.......trapper do you have any pictures of your project you would like to share?

thanks

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi fullphase, Very busy at the moment catching some beautiful spring (Chinook) salmon up here on Vancouver Island but.......will try and get a pic or two off in the next day or so. Cheers, trapper