208 Adventure hydraulic lines

grossjas

Reaction score
I have a new to me 2003 208 adventure. It currently has NFB steering, I am planning on switching to a seastar hydraulic system. Does anyone know what size lines I will need? Also I plan on installing a set of Bennett M120 tabs, are these the best tabs for this boat, also how important is the indicator switch? It is a pricey upgrade and just wondering if it is worth it. Thanks for all the help!

seasick

Reaction score
grossjas said:
I have a new to me 2003 208 adventure. It currently has NFB steering, I am planning on switching to a seastar hydraulic system. Does anyone know what size lines I will need? Also I plan on installing a set of Bennett M120 tabs, are these the best tabs for this boat, also how important is the indicator switch? It is a pricey upgrade and just wondering if it is worth it. Thanks for all the help!

Call Grady about the hose length. Hydraulic steering was an option on that model and was required for certain motors. Depending on what motor you have, the hydraulic may not make a ton of difference

To answer your question on the tab indicators, I will pose a questions to you.Do you need to look at the trim indicator for your motor or do you just go by feel? If the later, you don't need the Trim tab indicator.
That said, the indicator may seem epensive but after buying the bennett kit and the hydraulic steering kit, what's a few more bucks? Grady also recommended for my 208 that the hydraulic pump be installed in the cabin. That means longer hydraulic hoses ( Bennett may exchange yours for the longer ones) extra wiring and a heck of a lot of work running the hoses to the cabin ( starboard locker). You may also need the short cylinders due to the swim platform. If so, Bennett will exchange the normal ones for the short ones.

grossjas

Reaction score
I have never looked at my trim gauge, I go strictly be feel. I guess that answers that question about the indicator. Why do you feel that adding hyraulic steering won't make much of a difference, I would think ot would be night and day compared to NFB steering?

Pay2Play

Reaction score
I contemplated adding hyd steering on mine but opted instead for a autopilot. Best upgrade I've done on my 208.

grossjas

Reaction score
Could the pump be mounted in the bige area? I don't see why not, it is dry and open. There are lots of other things mounted in there, i.e. batteries, pumps, filters. Why does grady want that pump in the front cabin?? Seems like a cleaner easier install high in the bilge. Sugestions anyone?

seasick

Reaction score
grossjas said:
Could the pump be mounted in the bige area? I don't see why not, it is dry and open. There are lots of other things mounted in there, i.e. batteries, pumps, filters. Why does grady want that pump in the front cabin?? Seems like a cleaner easier install high in the bilge. Sugestions anyone?

If you have a 2-stroke, there isn't a lot of room in the port or starboard areas. You have batteries on one side and remote oil tank on the other. I have a salt water pump in my 208 and that takes up the free space on the port side. The center bilge area under the motor well is really tough to get to and not completely dry. For that mater neither are the two lockers aft. Although the deck drains into the scuppers, if you wash down the boat or it rains, the water that runs into the lip of the port and starboard locker lids drains into the bilge.

grossjas

Reaction score
I called Grady twice and gotton 2 different answers, one is I need 20' lines plus 3' at the bulkhead??? The other time I called the fellow told me all I need is 20' lines. Has anyone any experience with this?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You can measure it, sold by 1 ft increments. Remember you have to rise from the rigging tubes up and across to the wheel, same at motor less rise though. Grady OEM may have used copper lines, as in my 252G. Not sure on 20 footer.

On my 204C (similar to the Adventure?), It came with a Big T Helm, extra feedback, knuckle buster at times. Even with a Johnnierude 150.
Christmas present Santa dropped off hydraulic steering under the tree.

No more knuckle busting, shoulder pulling, etc, zero feedback and way easier to steer all conditions.

seasick

Reaction score
Due to a misfire of one or more of my brain neurons, I mistakenly stated that the pump needs to be mounted in the cabin locker. I was thinking about the trim tab pump. That has nothing to do with hydraulic steering.
Sorry. I am surprised that no one caught that error:)