222 Fly Rod Storage?

A3Hbar

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2001 222 fisherman and was disappointed when I couldn't fit a 9' fly rod in the starboard side under gunnel rod storage area. Does anyone know what the rod tip is hitting that prevents this?

Surely others have had this problem too?

Thanks in advance!

A3Hbar

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I'm still looking for a 9' rod storage solution.

I need something like a 4' long 2" dia. pvc pipe, with a flange the same size as the current grommets. The pipe would need to be flexible enough to bend around obstructions, but stiff enough not to droop. Anyone have any thoughts?

Hard to believe I'm the only fly fishing 222 owner?

CharlieFoxtrot

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I know this is kind of an old post but I just ran across it. This is what I did in my 180. No drilling required. The rear facing rods are held with 3M Command broom holders. They are surprisingly secure. The hoses are about $5 at home depot and are attached by 3M zip tie holder thingies that I got on amazon. They have held up pretty well but I just had to redo the 3M zip tie things after about a year. I think I will reinforce the connection to the hull with some 3M 4000 adhesive or the like. Also the hoses tend to yellow a little with UV exposure so I will try to keep them protected with 303.

IMG_3047.jpegIMG_3046.jpegRod holder 2.jpg

DMYankee15

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I fished with a guide who used 2" pvc mounted to the side of his gunnels at an angle, so somewhat similar to what you have but maybe something more beneficial to having the entire rod protected?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Unfortunately I doubt you will fit a 9' rod on any Grady under gunnel storage locations. In my Marlin, I have a tough time getting 6'ers in the aft cabin rod holders, 7-8' spinners and jig rods fit in the cabin rod holders and larger rods in the cabin are always in the way (just have to lay down). Boats have many tradeoffs, long rod storage in sight or worse out of sight are one of them here.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Do you have a T Top? For those of us who don't have this model, having pictures of what you are working with can help provide better answers. Even if the models are different, sometimes a solution can be found from other models. That said, even on my 330, storing fly rods is a pain. I ended up making a platform that straddles the starboard side companion seat - there are two i fly rod holders mounted on this, and then installed a piece of pool noodle foam to the grab bar to the right of the helm. The rods barely fit to the bottom of the windshield, but it works well enough.