225 overheating

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
True to form , came down for holiday weekend, and as soon as I start to troll, my 2008 225's buzzer sounds and overheat comes up.

Tried to clear peehole, just dribbles water. Motor is a 250 with only about 250 hours. Water pump? Thx

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
When was the water pump changed?? Have you keep up with the maintenance? Thermostats ??

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Water pump impeller and that is about right for the amount of hours. Not a very difficult change out if you can find a shop that has the parts. Here is a video...there is a part one and part 2....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUyh-0so5ks If it were the thermostats, it would still pee because the water bypasses the thermostats when they are not open.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
viperdrum said:
True to form , came down for holiday weekend, and as soon as I start to troll, my 2008 225's buzzer sounds and overheat comes up.

Tried to clear peehole, just dribbles water. Motor is a 250 with only about 250 hours. Water pump? Thx

Most likely the water pump, especially if its never been changed. If thats the case I would not attempt it myself because if those LU bolts haven't been opened in 7 years in salt water, I can guarantee they aren't coming off without a serious fight. You mentioned that it overheated while trolling (which is low speed).. did it cool down when you increased RPM? If so, it could also be the poppet valve (aka PCV valve ) . If the valve is clogged/ broken, it can cause low rpm overheat which goes away at higher rpms. Good luck.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
I would give it a try. It might come off easier than you think. If it is struck I would take it to a pro. Can not hurt to try.