225 Tournament weight change?

Backwaters

Reaction score
I am in the market for a 225 Tournament and just noticed a change pre vs post 2007 models. The 2006 and before list a hull weight of about 2,875 lbs while the 2007+ are 3,450 lbs. Any know what changed?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think you're slightly off on the years. From what I can see in the brochure section of the Grady White website, the 2002 was the last boat to weigh in at the 2,875 lb number. That being said, it was also called a 223 Tournament and appears to be a slightly different design with slightly different specifications from the 2003 and newer version, which is called the 225 Tournament and also has a heavier dry weight at the 3,450 lbs you quoted. I've heard a few rumors over the years saying that GW redesigned some of the hulls on their boats to accommodate larger, heavier 4 stroke motors and in doing so, they increased the dry weight of the boats. I'm obviously not 100% sure that this is entirely accurate, but it does make some sense in that I believe 2002 was the first year for Yamaha to come out with their larger 4 stroke motor from I think 200 hp on up. I believe up until that point, they'd only come out with 4 strokes up to 150 hp? Anyway, check out the archived brochure section of the GW website as they have some really good information on there for previous and even brand new boats as well.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
i had a similar question about the Chase model. up till 2005 it was 3975 lbs, in 2006 it goes up to 4843lbs. thats over a 20% increase. same hull dimensions. im not aware of any major change in those years, and certainly not something that would add almost 900 lbs. i called GW and asked. they actually werent 100% sure, but they think at least part of it was possibly including commonly ordered options among other things.

btw, the chase hull was modified to accommodate 4 stroke engines in 2000, but the weight change occurred several years later. im wondering if they didnt re-weigh the boat for a couple years and that is part of it as well

EDIT - just did some more digging around and the hull draft pre and post weight change for my Chase is the same (15 inches). if the hull dimensions are the same and the weight went up 20%, the hull draft would have to change as well.

EDIT 2 - the older manuals on the GW website are scans of physically printed out paper, you can see the three hole punch in the pages. the 1999 and 2000 are the same scan even though this is when the running surface was changed for the 4s.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I am in the market for a 225 Tournament and just noticed a change pre vs post 2007 models. The 2006 and before list a hull weight of about 2,875 lbs while the 2007+ are 3,450 lbs. Any know what changed?
Look at the standard features... is anything standard in 2007 that used to be an option? Do the models look EXACTLY the same and have the same dimensions?

Backwaters

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.
I have compared the manuals off the Grady website and that is where I noticed the difference. Yes, dimensions are the same.
You all might be on to something with the options comment. That said, not sure what options on this boat would add up to over 500 lbs.

Fishtales

Reaction score
They beefed up the transoms and stinger systems over the years for the heavier and more HP four strokes but hard to believe this is the only factor. Another that may contribute is the change from spartan fishing boats to loaded up luxury boats.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Maybe the wet transoms are a factor?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Another design change was the stepped hull going full length. Again, just some boats, cut in on different years.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you all for the replies.
I have compared the manuals off the Grady website and that is where I noticed the difference. Yes, dimensions are the same.
You all might be on to something with the options comment. That said, not sure what options on this boat would add up to over 500 lbs.
I don't believe the dimensions or specs are going to be 100% the same as the 223 Tournament has a different bridge clearance as well as hull draft, compared to the 225 Tournament. The cockpit depth is also slightly different, and as Fishtales mentioned, the transom is completely different in that the 223 Tournament has a motor well transom whereas the 225 Tournament has a fully enclosed transom with a transom bracket on the back of it. Which is I'm guessing likely a larger part of the additional weight with the fully enclosed transom and transom bracket.

Backwaters

Reaction score
I am only comparing different year 225's. The 2006 225 shows as lighter than the 2007 and newer on the GW manuals.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am only comparing different year 225's. The 2006 225 shows as heavier than the 2007 and newer on the GW manuals.
I have no idea what you're looking at, but in the brochure section on the GW website... both the 2006 as well as the 2007, and even the newer models all show the dry weight of the 225 Tournament as weighing in at 3,450 lbs. It appears that the 225 Tournament was run up until the 2016/2017 brochure, of which its named was then switched over to the 225 Freedom for that time. Then, it appears in 2018 that it was discontinued for either the 215 or the 235 Freedom. I'm by no means an expert on the matter, or anything even close to it, but that's just going off what the brochures say on the Grady White website. Even in its final year though, it still shows a dry weight of 3,450 lbs, as does every other brochure from 2003 and newer.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No worries, and once again I'm by no means an expert or anything close to it on the matter. I will say though, that while the owner's manuals on the website might have a search option for the year while looking them up... I don't see anything in the owner's manual itself saying a specific year for the boat. Meaning that it could very well be information from a previous model year, or even several previous model years, that they reprinted and continued to use before realizing they hadn't updated their dry weights. I think I'd personally go off of the dry weights and the specifications in the brochure as they reprint those every year and are likely a bit more accurate, though there definitely have been a few misprints that I've seen. Especially since the brochures are all the same number from 2003 and newer, on up until the stopped making the 225 Tournament/Freedom back in 2016/2017.