225 Tournament with 200 SW

OrionNC

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a 1998 225 with a 200 SW (450 hours). The boat and motor are immaculate. Some coastal use but mostly fresh water. Always stored inside. Any advice on how to evaluate and check out this rig? My main concern is the engine. Is this model engine known to have any particular problems? How is the economy relative to a HPDI or 4S? Any advice on boat or motor would be greatly appreciated.

striped bass

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Tournament 225 with a Yamaha OX66 225 Fuel injection. Both boat and engine are very solid workhorses and with standard maintenance will provide many years of service. For a boat/motor of this age there are some standard issues that crop up for a Grady as well as any other boat manufacturer.
For any used boat purchase you should:
a. Have the hull surveyed by a professional using a moister meter. Hull, transon and decks must be checked. The deck panels over the gas tanks usually wear out within 10 years so you may be looking at replacement before long. Water seeps through the screw head holes holding down the panels and rots the wood core underneath. You can do a self test and walk on the panels and feel for soft spots. A wood hammer test also tells a lot by listening for flat dead sounds which you can pick up by hitting he main deck in the good spots and then the deck panels.
b. Test the electronics. If the original electronics are still in use they are a candidate for replacement. Horn, GPS and VHF radio and aerial all wear out by this time. Also newer GPSs are light years above the 10 year old models. Make sure the console dials and readouts all work properly.
c. Sea cocks. The aft sea cocks in the transom for the raw water wash down and live well freeze up because the swivel joints corrode.
e. Wiring. The wiring may be a little shaky and the fuse box under the helm console will probably need replacement.
f. Engine survey. A Yamaha mechanic should definitely do an engine survey. Engine head as well as the lower unit. Make sure he does a full leak down test.
g. Tilt motor. The cylindrical housing of the tilt motor rusts out by this time. The magnet inside creates strong electrical current and corrodes the exterior surface of the cylindrical housing. The whole engine needs to be lifted off to replace the tilt motor. May not be an issue for you since this is a fresh water boat.
h. The cushions are probably a little dog eared if they are the original cushions. If you like a spic and span look to your boat - $500 minimum to replace.
i. Fuel sensors. Gas and oil fuel sensors can be finicky for any boat of this age. Be sure the console read outs accurately reflect the gas/oil levels. If not the sensors may need replacement.

I have found that a good fiber glass construction/repair technician is better that the standard boat surveyor for surveying the hull. A Yamaha mechnic is best for the engine survey, not just any mechanic.

The 200 SW Yamaha is a robust engine. It does drink gas and oil, no way to get around that.

This is all standard stuff and applies to any 12 year old motor boat. Bottom line is that the Grady 225 Tournament is a tough machine and will hold up better than almost all other coastal cruiser/fishing boats of this size. If the surveys check out to your satisfaction I would go for it.

OrionNC

Reaction score
Thanks Striped Bass. What about the fuel tank?

OrionNC

Reaction score
Any rule of thumb on how many hours a Yamaha 200 SW should last before major work?

striped bass

Reaction score
I'm sure there is one but I don't know of it. The most effective way to make an assessment is to take the engine to a certified master Yamaha mechanic and have a "systems test" performed. The Yamaha mechanics have equipment for diagnostics that can uncover most anything major and minor. I have been very pleased with the results and service when I have had it done on my 225 OX66.

Also ask the previous owner if they used Ring Free in the gas and Yamalube oil. That will tell you a lot right off the bat.

In answer to one of your original questions, the gas and oil economy of a 2 stroke 225 is not as good as an HPDI or 4S. Nothing is perfect, however, because the HPDIs have suffered some head failures due to oil pump problems and the 4S require more maintenance and are heavier per pound/per horse power and are a little slower especially at the low end. Much written about on Great Grady and THT.

Post some pics and close ups of your intended purchase.

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
I have a 1991 Tournament 225 that I bought two years ago. All in all it has been a fantastic boat. With that said the areas we've had issues with are:
Fuel tank sensors- had the sending units replaced but still can't get an accurate fuel level on the main tank. A winter project!
Wiring- While everything works, it's a rats nest of wires.
Engine- this is the biggie. My boat came with the original 1991 Yamaha 225 and while it drives the boat well it's cost a bit of money. Last year I replaced the lower unit (about $3,000) and now it's looking like I might have to repower it(about $5,000). Definitely have the engine checked out as best you can.
Misc- it is minor, but can add up quickly. I've replaced the fishfinder, VHF radio and some of the cushion. All are minor in the scheme of things but you can drop cash here pretty quick.
Bottom line this is a great boat and how the current/ previous owner talks about it and maintains it will be your best indicator of what overall shape it's going to be in. Good luck!