228 Rear Seat Back - Removable Brackets

GulfSea

Reaction score
When I shopped for my Grady 4 years ago, I came across one 228 that had brackets that made the rear seat back(s) either side of the baitwell removable. But for the life of me, I've not been able to find them. Mine are permanently mounted in and I would really like to take them out during fishing trips and just use them on sandbar days. Does anyone know where I can find them? I haven't called Grady so that could be an option; I just happened to think of them a minute ago and hoped someone here could lead me in the right direction to get them ordered.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't know if yours is the same as mine, but I found that they sit on a bracket and that a screw was drilled into the fiberglass next to the bracket to keep them from falling off (pretty cheesy setup if you ask me). I was able to access it by putting a screwdriver through the hole in the back rest from underneath, feeling for the screw head and unscrewing it. I know that I'm not explaining it well but hopefully you'll be able to find out what I mean. I keep mine off for the same reasons as you do and only put them back on for cruising etc . when needed.

GulfSea

Reaction score
Thanks John, I had done that just before the post to make sure it wasn't there and had missed it; you're right it is a cheesy looking installation. It was a metal bracket that looked like it snapped in place. I didn't pay that much attention at the time, just that they were not there and the seller said they did have the seatbacks that could be quickly installed and removed. Maybe they were some type of after market brackets?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had to replace both of mine. Getting to the screws in the brackets behind the seats was a bear and required an angle screwdriver. So I didn't use the screws on the reinstall. The seat backs hold in place just fine and now they can be easily removed .

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GulfSea said:
Thanks John, I had done that just before the post to make sure it wasn't there and had missed it; you're right it is a cheesy looking installation. It was a metal bracket that looked like it snapped in place. I didn't pay that much attention at the time, just that they were not there and the seller said they did have the seatbacks that could be quickly installed and removed. Maybe they were some type of after market brackets?

Mine just look like angle irons (2 for each setback)that are screwed into the transom. The seatback is lowered onto them so that the vertical part of the irons go into the hole in the seatback. Then a screw is inserted thru the setback hole and into the fiberglass to hold in place. Really a non professional looking setup. I cant believe that they don't have a better system. You can probably buy similar parts at a hardware store, but I would ask Grady first..maybe they'll hook you up.
Doc, is that the same setup you have?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep. The screws are really not necessary. The clips hold the seats in place very well. I like being able to remove the seats for cleaning and for cleaning around them.

When I called Grady asking how to remove the seats, they said to just pull them off the clips. They didn't say anything about the screws, so they were ripped out on one seat. Maybe the screws aren't used for all installations.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yeah. Maybe some local dealers put the screws in to keep the seats from going overboard in rough weather because I doubt that Grady would make a mess like that. The screws were different sizes, in on an angle,bent, the holes were not round etc etc.

GulfSea

Reaction score
I guess that's what it was. The clips I saw were probably just the standard clips without the @#$# screws. Makes sense....I think I'll just clip em' in but maybe put a discreet lanyard of some sort so they can't leave the boat.