228 repower or new admiral

gradyforyou

Reaction score
I have a 91 228g w/ 200 evinrude. Love the boat. I would go anywhere in it, admiral wants to go nowhere in it. She hates the smoke and loudness. Is there a market for my running OB? How much is it worth? Where do I start looking for new? I guess 4 stroke. I do not plan on getting rid of the boat. Far as I am concerned this is my last boat.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those big old 2 strokes are worth about $500 in my neck of the woods (Florida). It doesn't matter if they are running or not since most just get parted out.

Be sure to consult with GW before you decide on your new power. Most of the newer engines are heavier and will change the center of gravity of your boat.

north

Reaction score
I have an 89 228g that was repowered with an etec 225. Plenty of power, quiet, and clean. I believe the ETEC is also better for the weight issued mentioned.

PA228G

Reaction score
I re-powered my '94 with a '06 250 E-Tec. The shop that put it on gave me $500 for my old Johnson - for parts.

gradyforyou

Reaction score
The etec sounds good. Would the 200 be sufficient for my boat? Mine does struggle to get on plane when loaded ( full front tank, 4 adults two kids, all watersports gear, and frosty adult beverages) but I dont think my motor is 100%.