23 Gulfstream Tackle Boxes - replacements?

cgmiller

Reaction score
Has anyone out there replaced the tackle boxes in a Gulfstream. I had to pull out the starboard 2-drawer tackle box in order to replace the helm pedestal and the tackel box fell apart. I am sure I am not the first with this problem. Has anyone found a good replacement? I had to glue the 2 boxes in the port seat base back together and after I put the boxes back in the entire housing came apart...I need to try to pull that out and fix it also....

cgmiller

Reaction score
Come on...no one has had an issue with the tackle drawers in the Gradys..they look like something that the Grady guys made in the shop...the plywood sides are rotted and the screws have loosened and the sides have pushed into the helm bases....

exudedude

Reaction score
I have been looking for the same thing. There is not a replacement size that I found. Everything is a 1/2" over on the vertical measurement. The " plano" type boxes are an really odd size. To have something fabbed would cost me the same as SeaDeck coaming bolsters (350.00) I just bought and that would only be a tipout door. If you are handy make it from starboard that is if your access door is still good. I will do something in spring with mine..until then it can look ugly and leak water.

cgmiller

Reaction score
The marine connection liquidators down in fort pierce florida have one that is really close but it is $150....my access door is OK, so I put it back and in just put 3 plano boxes inside the opening....I have so many things that I need to buy, I am holding off..I want to replace my helm seats, need to fix an oil leak in one of the motors and found out today I have a bad ground cable for the port battery..a 6' cable is probably going to cost me $75....and I have to fix that..cant start an engine with the port battery due to the bad cable.....

exudedude

Reaction score
The Marine Connection is the one that is a 1/2 inch off...maybe it fits yours better. As far as the battery cable save some bucks and make your own. Buy the cable at HD or an auto/ electrical place and put marine fittings on it and solder the correct way.

Good Luck

cgmiller

Reaction score
My cut out is 17.25 x 5.5...their box has a cut out of 17-5/8" x 5-1/4"...so it would probably fit....bit they want $145..I may go and look at it when I got to Florida in January.......I am going to buy a piece of cable at Home Depot tomorrow and I can get battery cable ends either there or tractor supply.....I clamped ends onto an old cable that I had in the shed..I would have used that but when I was seperating the cables, the outter covering had cracked....UV effects maybe....

exudedude

Reaction score
You need to check the outer flange size besides the cut out, that is where I had the problem. If I raised it up to get past the cushion I was out of space. To not raise it, it would not open all the way due to the cushion. Hope it makes sense.