230 Gulfstream Fresh Water Tank - how to empty?

cgmiller

Reaction score
Folks,

I have found the fill cap and vent down next to the port side companion seat near the floor..how do I access the tank and get any water out of it that may be there before freezing temps arrive here in NJ???

Thanks!

JeffN

Reaction score
Getting cold isn't it. Finished mine today just need to cover her up.
As for the fresh water system just like doing the water system in an RV. Turn on your pump and open the faucets until the tank is empty, no need to open the bottom of the tank. Turn the pump off close the faucets. Then put some non-toxic antifreeze in the tank and pump that through the system. My Kingfish has a water heater with a 6 gallon cap., two sinks and a deck shower that I installed. I usually put five or six gallons of -50 degree non-toxic antifreeze into the tank and then turn the fresh water pump on and turn on each outlet in turn until I get a good stream of anti-freeze. I know there are different ideas about quanity and formulas to figure quanity but for my boat the 5 to 6 gallons works well. Also be sure to put some down your fishbox drains etc. if they have low spots in in the drain hoses. I have a shower drain in the head with a pump too that needs to be done and if your bildges don't drain completely, depending on how you store your boat, put some in there too. Maybe overkill but it has worked well for me.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I have not found that pump yet, but then I really have not looked very hard. I am not going to worry about the drain hoses as I plan to replace all of them during the winter layup. And yes it is starting to get cold down here too..

JeffN

Reaction score
You really don't need to find the pump. You should, I would think, have a switch on your console labeled "water pressure" or something similar, just turn that on and you should have water pressure. I don't know where the fresh water pump is located on a Gulfstream. What year is it? I'm sure someone here that has a similar Gulfstream can hook you up.

Please keep in mind that on some Gradys those drain lines are hard to access. You may want to protect them rather than let them freeze in case you don't get to them before next season. I have one that is at the waterline that drains a fish box between the helm seats. I replaced it a season ago and it was a job getting to it, doable but some disassembly was required.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The best way to winterize is as described in the earlier posts with anti freeze. If you need to access the pump I believe it is located under the passendger seat. To access you need to remove the built in tackle box - a few screws and the whole cabinet pulls out - on the floor you should see the macerator and a plastic water tank and pump. It shas been several years since I owned a Gulfstream but if my memory is correct that is where you can find it if you need to repair it in the future

finnaddict

Reaction score
good thread just did my fresh water system on a 305 express.put 4 gallons of antifreeze in and ran it thru . 2 questions.how do You get the hot water holding tank and how do You do the head? thanks

JeffN

Reaction score
I have an electric hot water heater powered by shore power if that is what you mean by hot water holding tank. As all new Gradys are outboard I guess they would not have a heat exchanger for hot water so perhaps your setup is similar to mine but powered by an onboard generator in addition to shore power. The hot water heater is easy as all my fresh water, hot or cold, comes from the same system I just turn on the hot water faucet. Takes a little bit to get a good orange stream but I use -50 antifreeze so I figure if it looks orange and I get a good whiff of it in the sink I'm fine - so far this has worked well for me but YMMV. I usually leave the hot water until last, I run the items closest to the pump/tank first. Then I just run the HW faucet farthest from the water heater until the fresh water tank is empty. As to your question about the head I don't know, my boat just came equiped with a porta potty. I just mostly fish etc and seldom overnight so I never changed to anything more fancy. Someone so equiped will have to chime in.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: I am not going to worry about the drain hoses as I plan to replace all of them...

It's not the hoses you have to worry about but the fittings. I had water accumulate in one of my fishbox drains and when it froze, it broke the fitting in the bottom of the box. This turned into a major hassle first with finding the right drain fitting and then gaining access to the underside of the fishbox in order to install it. Since then I pour anti-freeze in every drain I can find until it runs out the side of the boat. Takes less than a gallon so is really cheap insurance. What it cost me to fix that one drain would've paid for the antifreeze treatment for over 20 years.
Gary 93 Gulfstream

cgmiller

Reaction score
Gary..thanks for the insight...you could not be more correct...the drain fitting on the fresh water sink has been broken and I have not clue where to look for a replacement drain fitting that will fit the drain hole in the bottom of the sink......good advise...