265 vs sandy

tilewave

Reaction score
hello, havent been here in awhile. thought id let u guys know how my 265 express held up in sandy. i keep the boat in bay head nj, about a mile from where that new mantoloking inlet opened up. being very close to the shore , i decided to move my boat inland up the metedeconck river and have it hauled & blocked. apparently the surge went right up that way ! they pulled the plug ( my understanding, so the boat wont turn into a projectile) any, the tilewave was knocked off the blocks, floated about 150 yards where she wound up in a mosh pit with a bunch of other boats in the parking lot of the marina on a bed of
marsh grass. ironically her bow was touching the bow of another 265 express anchor to anchor, as if they were keeping eachother company. ......the boats suffered nicks & scrapes all over the hull . the bottom looks like it was dragged down the parkway a bit. with the plug pulled, she never went down below the water line according to the scum line & there being no water in the cabin. im sure the bilge pumpes were going all night but my batteries never died??? i called grady & they attribute this to the built in flotation ( real good to know !!!!) the fiberglass will be fixed & my only concern is what/ if any damage the lower units may have incurred while playing bumper boats all night. wont know that until she goes back in the water in the spring. we have a tough boat!

Bad Fish

Reaction score
wow that's crazy!!! it seems like you did pretty well considering. I saw a 265 on yacht world for like 15k that had a lot more sandy damage below the water line. it looked like it bounced off some rocks for a long time

tilewave

Reaction score
unfortunately there are marks on my lower units, so i'll kow soon enough. my insurance co has been pretty good so far . the other 265 express there was for sale , looked to be in real nice shape too.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Are the marks on the bottom of the lower unit as if it was dragging on the ground? Does T&T work properly? Full steering range?

You need to have a Yamaha mechanic inspect them. The outer housing (shell) can be replaced not whole lower unit.

Do props turn w/o bent shafts? Skeg bent?

Scrapes on the bottom mean little if not cosmetic only.