270 Islander Stereo

Hound III

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My 270 has a Kenwood stereo. The boat is new to me. When I got the boat last winter the stereo would power up. Now it does not. My boat does not have 30 amp power, so I have four red tabs with the battery switches. One master, two bilges and "memory". I think memory is the direct wire to the stereo. I was unable to get the stereo enclosure off to determine if there was power, so I am hoping someone can maybe point me in the right direction.

-The batteries are charged
-The switches are on
-All other 12V is working
-There are two accessory switches on the panel, I turned those on just in case
-I checked every fuse in the sub panel under the dash, all ok

I feel I am missing something that is right in front of me. My manual does not really explain what the red breakers are with the battery switches. Could "memory" be bad? How do I check the breakers?

Any help would be much appreciated.

David

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Wild guess - did you try powering up at the head unit? I want to say you have to hold a button for a few seconds for initializing the unit, then you can control it at the helm.
That said, I barely use mine so I could be wrong.

Hound III

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Wild guess - did you try powering up at the head unit? I want to say you have to hold a button for a few seconds for initializing the unit, then you can control it at the helm.
That said, I barely use mine so I could be wrong.
Sorry to be dumb. When you say head unit, do you mean the radio or the remote switch on the dash? I could not find an "on" button on the remote on the dash, so I have only tried on the radio.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The "box" in the cabin is the head unit. If I remember right, powering up the head unit required holding an unlabeled button for a few seconds.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You need the removal "keys" that insert on both sides of the stereo to remove the head unit. Should find them on Amazon or e-bay.

The following may not be what you want to hear. I just replaced my Kenwood (still worked, but for how much longer?) with a Fusion stereo. I now have radio and bluetooth capability, so I and my guests have their phone music library available. Radio can be fully controlled by an app on my cell phone. Replaced the Kenwood helm remote with charging ports for cell phones. I am happy - you might want to consider.

Reactions: Hound III

Hound III

Reaction score
Model
Islander
You need the removal "keys" that insert on both sides of the stereo to remove the head unit. Should find them on Amazon or e-bay.

The following may not be what you want to hear. I just replaced my Kenwood (still worked, but for how much longer?) with a Fusion stereo. I now have radio and bluetooth capability, so I and my guests have their phone music library available. Radio can be fully controlled by an app on my cell phone. Replaced the Kenwood helm remote with charging ports for cell phones. I am happy - you might want to consider.
I will replace it. By the time I figure something out, I will have paid for a new install with someone who can keep it working.
Thanks
David

Reactions: loubeer

Fishtales

Reaction score
I replaced my Kenwood and for the heck of it, took it apart. It was well corroded. Not a marine stereo. Get a Fusion or a brand that conformal coats the circuit boards and uses marine connectors. I think the Fusion is the ticket for an on the water radio.

Reactions: Hound III