270 islander trailer owners

fliboi21

Reaction score
Hey guys just bought a used trailer for a 270 islander. Was hoping there is an owner on here that could help me get the trailer set up before I put the boat in it. I'm looking for the distance you have the bunks apart from each other and where they sit on the bottom. Thanks

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
When I setup my new Venture trailer the bunks were set wide as possible which worked out good. The bigger problem I had was positioning the axels and how far to put the boat up in the trailer to have a properly balanced load. I had to move the axels all the way forward and the bunks ended where the trim tabs started. I emailed Grady and they said as long as the rear of the bunks were with 2' of the transom I would be fine. For long term storage I still put the short boat stands under the back for extra support

Andrew

fliboi21

Reaction score
Ok great appreciate the info. I'd have to say more than 2' off the rear of the bunks would definatly make me worried. What venture did you go with?

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I went with the 8725 aluminum bunk with front target bunks. The local Grady dealer recommended that model, it has a carrying capacity of 8,725. I only trailer a few miles a few times a year to the ramp for my mooring. If I was doing more trailering I think I would have went with a tri axel. The islander and the sailfish are big boats to trailer, I had my father following me and he said it looked good going down the road though.

I had a problem loading it for the first time. The boat was too far forward and placed way too much weight on the tongue and front frame of the trailer. Without unbolting the bunks I cannot get the bunks much closer to the transom. Also noteworthy is the winch post. First time on the trailer I had the strap too tight and the ramp is steep, when the bow rose coming out of the water the stand bent. I have to reweld and reinforce it for this year. Happy with the trailer overall.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
49 1/2 in. Inside bunk to inside bunk on the 268 Islander.
Back edge of bunk was cut flush to the main hull.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A little off topic, but as a safety note... Fire, your bow stop needs to be adjusted higher. The winch strap should not be riding under the bow roller like it is. The bow roller should be high enough so that the bow eye tucks underneath the roller. When it's loaded fully onto the trailer (which it isn't in that picture), the bow roller should be contacting the hull and the bow eye should be tucked under/touching the roller.