33 Express Performance

Mark I

Reaction score
I am considering the purchase of a 330 Express with 225s on it. Corrosion issues aside which I am well aware of, does anyone have any real world performance numbers with these motors? Cruise speed and fuel burn.

Considering the current models spec for 250-350s, the 225s seem like they might be a little under-powered. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have 3 friends that have the 250's on their 33's. I have ridden in two of them and both yield cruise speeds around 30-31MPH with revs to 4800 or so to maintain it. Burn is roughly 1.2-1.3 in calm conditions. I have not been in rough seas with them, but one says it goes to a little below 1.0.

250's, in my opinion is adequate, and 225's would be underpowered.

I realize I have not directly answered your question as I have no access to hard numbers. However, unless there is a great prop option for the 225 combo, the performance stats would have to be marginally worse than my figures above.

georgemjr

Reaction score
this has been covered previously, in depth. I have a 2006 with 250's, so I can't answer your question directly except to say that everything I have read says that the 225's provide nearly the same performance with slightly better fuel burn. They are a little slower out of the hole and you lose a mph or two wide open, but do not notice a difference during normal operations.

Knot'N Line

Reaction score
I have a 330 with 250's. It performs well inshore and offshore, but I cannot imagine less power. I am convinced the 250s are a minimum. When you are running 3 hours to the canyon, it would be nice to be doing it a lower RPM. You will pay a little more, but will be repaid in longer life and higher resale.

Coconut330

Reaction score
I had Yamaha 225s on my 33. As far as performance I was happy with it. It was no speed demon but always got me there and back.
I have made several trips to the Abaco's with a good load. My cruise speed was between 28mph 4400 rpm and 32mph 4800rpm depending on conditions. The fuel burn was around 1.00
I had friends with the same boat that have F250'S and we ran the same numbers side by side on trips. Top speed they maybe were about 1 to 2 mph faster.
I think you will be happy with them. The one thing I did was use 4 blade props which helped the midrange cruise.
I repowered mine with the new F300's and there is a big difference in power. New motors are faster have more mid range torque. I still cruise between 28 and 32 and get still get 1mpg.

Mark I

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.

I did a search and read all of the previous posts on this topic. It seems the 225s will be adequate if the boat can be had for the right price.