4 stroke vs HPDI on a Grady CC

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Jekyl has had problems with his HPDIs to sell off, so I was surprised to see him being so generous! Nonetheless. I hope the fuel doesn't get the Fs in the same way.

The 150/175/200 HPDi never had an issue whatsoever, nor recall, nor redesign.
These motors have no association with the big block 250/300HPDIs in terms of "design troubles".

Yamaha had no excuse not to get it right, it's just a furthering of the venerable OX66s. Designn work on 250/300 HPDIs must have been imited to Mondays.

If anyone knows motors like we do on GG and is buying useds Fs, they would be driven to the F250 (only). For the uninformed, all they know is salesspeak = "4 stroke".
I'm sure the Brooklyn Bridge has many owners. So i'm not so sure on the resale
comparison.

Another subject about the A1 outboard rebuilding work shows all those F225 lovely head parts layed out neatly, perhaps 100 or more with many more not seen in photo, not one can be found in the HPDI.

As far as VST issues, a nice 5 page topic over there at THT is into the F225s too, not just HPDI.

Buy what you want for any reason you want, just don't have any regrets.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As Bob says I had problems with the 200hpdi's that were on my boat initially. Despite replacing and cleaning all filters (3-4 from memory), rebuilding pumps (there are 3) and running numerous tests with laptops etc exchanging stators, ecu etc. we still had intermitent probs . Just when I thought we had it sorted at 1,000 hours one injector failed (Yamaha USA diagnosis) and we toasted one powerhead. The rest as they say, is history. Despite the 200hpdi's having an excellent reputation it only takes one fouled injector to kill them, same as most injected 2 strokes. With current fuel reliability issues I think injected 2 strokes are potentially troublesome.

No engine is bulletproof just some are less troublesome than others. I have a 50 hp Honda with several hundred hours on it and no probs. I had 2 x 150 Honda's which I put 600 hours on with no $ other than regular servicing. I put 600 hours on a 175 carbed Yammie 2 stroke with not a cent on anything other than servicing. I have had carbed Evinrudes with no issues. For me the 200hpdi's were the most troublesome and expensive motors I've ever owned. That's just my experience. Certainly not the norm.