'80s Tournament 225 Drain Hose ...

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Anyone replaced the hose that drains the anchor box? Looking for information before trying to remove the tackle drawers and cutting an access, no way to reach the fitting otherwise ... :?

Tim67580

Reaction score
Just curious what you figured out? I have an 84 223 and would be interested to know about your project. How did you know the hose needed replacing? Let me know, Tim

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
The hose and/or anchor box fitting were leaking into the bilge. In additioon to any water from the anchor locker, I think the forward port overboard drain would take on water as the boat rolls, then leak into the bilge. To replace the anchor box hose: first, locate a source for the box fitting, good bet it will break; remove the access plate in the port console, do whatever you have to to get the hose loose from the 'T' Fitting (I used a Drimel tool); remove screws holding the tackle drawer framing, move framing to the rear of the compartment; fold back forward center line carpet, remove screws from cover board, remove cover board; remove hose from drain fitting as gently as possible; hose will be extremely hard and set in curvature, but it's a mild 'S' curve and not too bad; pull/push/remove hose from back to front; replace in reverse order; box fitting isn't difficult to replace if you break it, but you likely won't be able to find a 1" at your local outlet, so plan ahead if you'll be on a tight time line.

Wear long sleeves, be careful when putting hands/arms in blind spaces, lots of glass daggers in there. Something I found out when researching parts, OEM cockpit and fish box (1") flush drains are no longer available, so take care of what you have when doing overflows and/or hoses ... :wink:

richie rich

Reaction score
Something I found out when researching parts, OEM cockpit and fish box (1") flush drains are no longer available, so take care of what you have when doing overflows and/or hoses ...

Curm, these fittings are not available? If you break it off, what replacement choices do you have? What are newer boats using?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
If you break it off, what replacement choices do you have?

Either an angled 1" with a mushroom head, or a 90* flush fitting of another size. I'm not gonna screw with 'em until they quit doing what they do. Grady said they had to do a re-design when the supply dried up. Maybe if they'd used a more common size to begin with ... :?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Bob, the problem with that design (at least on a T-22) is access. Has to be an angle design, and pretty much has to be a two-piece - no room to screw up the nut, attach the hose, and secure with a clamp. I'm told The OEM fitting allowed you to attach/clamp the hose to the base, position it under the hole, and hold it (barely) while the top was screwed down. And I believe it ... :?