87 gulfstream inboard

first-time1022

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
looking for recommendations on new motor set up. Was told it had a 0MC 460 with king cobra outdrive. There is nothing in it at the moment. From what I have seen the OMC are junk. So I have been thinking of putting in a 454 with a bravo 1. My question is has anyone done this or have any suggestions o. What to put in. It's a 1987. This being my first boat

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That would be a heck of a package in that boat. It's a little bit more money, but if your pocket book allows, put the Bravo III on there. It make a VERY noticieable difference around the dock and getting onto plane.

Are you keeping the boat in the water? Salt?

first-time1022

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I would put a 3 on but found a nice running 454 with a 1. It will be on a trailer and used in salt water.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
OK, if it's a trailered boat, then corrosion is less of an issue. I "think" the upper gearcase is the same between a 1 & 3... meaning, down the road you may be able to swap. But I'm not 100% sure of that. The downside of a 3 is that it's more likely to expereience corrosion in the aluminum due to the double SS props. But it's pretty much a non-issue on a trailerable boat.

If you can find/download the "cutout" template for the transom plates, that would be helpful - you can figure out your plan of attack. If the hole is bigger - great - easy. If the cutout is smaller, then you'll need to do some glasswork. Don't just "plug" the hole and re-cut the hole. Scab new ply in the transom, instead.

Another option... reinforce the transom and triangulate it down into the stringers and then put a bracket on there and mount an OB.