Above Average Cobia Catching OBX

jetskibrian

Reaction score
I had the oppurtunity yesterday to fish for some Cobia with Capt. Ben Shepherd http://aboveaveragesportfishing.com.p11 ... gprod.com/ out of Hatteras North Carolina.
We departed Teach's Lair around 1000 hrs to a stiff cool NE breeze of 15-20 kts, air temp was about 52 and water was around 67 degrees. On board were Jon, Shaun, Jason, Captain Ben, his mate Lauren and myself. We fished a couple miles off shore from Hatteras Inlet to Hatteras Light, sight casting bucktails and live eels to Cobia schools and at sea turtles that were holding some cobia under them. It was a great day and we caught seven Cobia and kept four. Jon and Shaun caught a 45 and 43lb that qualified for North Carolina Citations. It was a fun day with plenty of action, Ben and Lauren did a great job of putting us on the fish, Ben said he saw about 45 Cobia through out the day. We were back at the dock around 1700 and back on the road to Virgina with plenty of cobia fillets by 1800. I know what I am having for dinner tonight! here are some pictures.

sun-3.jpg

cobia4.jpg

DSC_0086c.jpg

DSC_0055f.jpg

boat-5.jpg

boat7.jpg

DSC_0096b.jpg

cobia.jpg

cobia3.jpg

cobia2.jpg

DSC_0109e.jpg

DSC_0236a.jpg

kayaks.jpg

DSC_0123d.jpg

boat8.jpg

boat3-2.jpg

boat4-3.jpg

DSC_0118c.jpg

briancobia.jpg

DSC_0080c.jpg

DSC_0083c.jpg

boat5-1.jpg

boat6.jpg

DSC_0257b.jpg

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great photos! Looks like you did real well on the cobia. Hard to believe the temps for this time of year. It was cooler here the last couple of days also but our water temp is nearly 10 degrees warmer.