Anchor Windlass install

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am thinking seriously of adding a power anchor windlass to my 268 Islander. I want a foot pedal control at the winch as well as a control at the helm station.and I am wondering if a 12v motor will give me enough power, thinking I could go with a 24 v unit and wire the batteries accordingly. I want a free fall mode for deployment. I have had windlass'e in the past and they have always used a chain rode. I don't know how a windlass would grip a "line" type rode. Can someone give me some info on these things and recommend a particular windlass that I should consider. Thanks in advance.
yb

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have a 2010 Tournament 275 that I purchased with the factory installed Lewmar V700 windlass. As I anchored yesterday I knew I had made the right decision is buying the windlass (even though it was an expensive option). The Lewmar is 12 volts and works great. I have about 20' of chain which is spliced into 8 plait anchor rode. Although the 8 plait is expensive, it grips much better than three strand twisted.

My factory windlass only has an up/down switch at the helm. I'm thinking about adding the wireless remote so that I can operate it from the bow as well.

Good luck with your project.

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have ordered a Lewmar Pro Fish 700. This has a "free fall" feature but I don't know if it also has a "power down" mode. I am going to install it with a foot control switch at the windlass. Considered the wireless feature but from past experience I choose to have my hands free. Thanks for your feedback.
yb

Reaction score
You defintetly made a good choice. Installing a Pro-Fish 700 right now. The free-fall function is nice and the rebuild/maintenance on a Lewmar is pretty simple.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you use a windlass like you are supposed to, yes 12V is plenty. If you intend to pull the anchor out of the bed it's buried in while towing the boat towards it, no.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I recently installed a Pro-fish 700 on our Journey 258. It has free fall and the ability to power down as well.
Some key points:
- get it over the deepest part of the anchor locker
- monitor the rode in the locker as you retrieve the anchor, make sure you have a foot clearance at all times

I installed the wireless kit instead of foot switches. It works quite well and eliminates the extra wiring and hardware.

A film of the install is located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K79s6BJfT30