Are twin 200 hpdi's okay on a 01 grady white sailfish

Islander II

Reaction score
Thinking about buying a 2001 sailfish 28 with twin 200 hpdi's. was wondering if its enough power, how the cruise speed and top end are, and the fuel consumption. I'm partial to my 4 stroke but open for opinions. Also if anyone knows of one for sail please let me know. Thanks

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sounds underpowered to me, but I have no experience or numbers to back it up.

I have read on here that the 200 HDPI's were Yamahas best. Like you, I love my 4-strokes, but if I were to go 2 stroke, the HDPI's would be my choice.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lots of Salefish for sail... :D. Particularly if you are willing to travel a bit to find the right boat. I bought a 94 Sailfish with 2006 E-TEC 200HOs this year and it screams - I couldn't be happier.

There is a recent Sailfish power discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20297&hilit=sailfish+power+comparision

Note that the Sailfish 272 is the same size as the Sailfish 282. My performance numbers are posted over at the E-TEC site:

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/post/Reb ... sh-6426775

You can search the "For Sale" forum here for 282 or 272 but I found most of my leads just searching the internet. I found my particular boat doing an "All Craigslist" search. The deals should be getting better and better as the season winds on...

Good luck,
-Scott

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I have a 95 Sailfish 272 with twin 200 hp HPDI motors. I love this combination. I get 1.8 mpg. I'm not the fastest boat on the water, but no Grady is. I cruise at 3500 rpm ( 28 mph ) all day long with out any problems and at wot I can get to 38 mph to 40 mph.

Jaeger Grady

Reaction score
I have a 2001 282 with 200 HPDI's, cruise 3800RPM 15 to 16 GPH 28MPH. I have never pushed it to the pins but have ran her hard before 4600 got me around 38MPH if I recall. The boat jumps on plan quick, Today full of fuel, 5 large men, ice, bait well full of bait and water she ran without a hiccup.

Islander II said:
Thinking about buying a 2001 sailfish 28 with twin 200 hpdi's. was wondering if its enough power, how the cruise speed and top end are, and the fuel consumption. I'm partial to my 4 stroke but open for opinions. Also if anyone knows of one for sail please let me know. Thanks

Islander II

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Sounds like the motors are fine for this boat. I found one that's been in a indoor storage unit or 3 years. Only 300 hours on the boat and motors. It's cherry and is listed at a great price. Going to call a surveyor today to go over the boat. Again, thanks.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sounds like a great find. If it has been sitting for 3 years then the gas in the tanks is at least 3-years old. Is the gas E10? If so, I suspect you will have to drain it - you can use that as a bargaining chip. My had been sitting as well and had 125 gallons of 4-year-old straight gas which I drained. The dealer I hired to check out the motors offered to remove and dispose of the old gas for $7/gallon...!

LouisR

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
2001 282 Sailfish with 2x 200HP HPDIs is identical to my boat. Runs like a dream. 5 or 6 guys on board, runs out to open sea 50klms, no problems. 14.5gph at 26mph.

grady23

Reaction score
Best thinig to do is sea trail the boat with four friends on board. That will give you more of a "real life" load experience as to how she runs. HPDI 200's have had a great history especially if well maintained.