Bahamas Crossing Safety Question

WaterShark

Reaction score
I would like to make a trip to the West End this summer with my family. I would take all the necessary gear on board; life raft, hand held VHF and GPS, EPIRB, etc. I would plan to run out of St Lucie Inlet or close by. I understand that everything is weather dependent but I have an 8,6, and 3 year old. Is it safe or should I have them fly and meet me? Thanks in advance for your comments.

2000 232 Gulfstream
T 150 Yamahas

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I ,too want to make that crossing someday.
Therefore, no practical experience, but the gut feeling says fly them over. Even the best conditions change, emergencys happen at sea, and a complication you don't need is worrying about them when your hands are full with the emergency.
An open-water crossing is a long way from a run across the bay. Play safe..fly them over.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just noticed you have a 232, as I do. Add your emergency gear, 3 kids, a wife(maybe?) and you have a full boat with too little room to maneuver in a dicey situation.
That 232 is capable of the crossing in decent weather, but you'll be waaay better off with less people on board.

WaterShark

Reaction score
Thanks, You make a great point. It seems the best option is flying my wife and kids over. Take Care

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Watershark and Magicalbill: I posted some answers to your Bahamas crossings questions in the 'Grady White Gatherings' section.

Rob

ahill

Reaction score
I've crossed to Bimini in a 25 Mako & now 272 for years. Afriend with a 232 joined us all the time. Great seaworthy boat. He'd also run out to Chub,
Go in the summer, Mem Day to mid Sept. and you shouldn't encounter serious conditions. I always leave coming and going early morning to avoid pm thunderstorms.
Watch weather esp tropical waves & such. Be prudent. Don't go if the weather is questionable just to satisfy motel reservations.

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
somehow my answer was a new topic, here is the other view::

IMHO I would fly them over, but for a combination of different reasons:

a. water is fickle, you can play with the weather all you want but until you get into the stream you have no clue what that day is really dishing up

b. Bahamas customs process: it usually takes us several hours, confined to the boat and dock, waiting for someone in the Customs office to either come back from a break, decide to work again or sip the cold drink that you finally brought up to them. Kids will be less than happy after making the crossing and still having to sit still during the customs processes in a smaller boat

c. think about the return trip; weather info in the Bahamas is notoriously iffy, less reliable than the US. Round trip tickets may be the easiest way to keep the family happy and safe while you and your buddy get the boat safely back to the US and clear US customs.

Just my 2 cents but been there, done that, and flying is much easier on the captain until they get to be maybe middle teens....

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
this is a trip we want to make ourselves and if we still lived in central Florida we would likely do it. The Daytona Beach Grady club use to do a huge trip every summer over from Pt Everglades. I would imagine having, younger kids myself, if you were going with some other buddy boats taking the kids might be doable in terms of your peace of mind.

I am more of an adventurer and have taken my kids in the backcountry on overnight backpacking trips when they were as young as 5. My kids were snorkeling by the time they were 4 off of Molasses. I have flown them to the Exumas to Stainley Cay in a puddle jumper, that was freaky for me :lol:

You know your own kids, your wife's boating ability and skills and yours as well. If you are not comfortable doing this crossing in the summer with them, then follow your gut. Me, I would take my take my kids as long as I was with a group given my boat size.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A couple of points from my experience:

1. If you're returning home from the ports closest to Florida, i.e., West End or Bimini, your weather forecast is the same NOAA broadcast we get in the U.S. Okay, not perfect, but the best there is.

2. If you sign up for Local Boater Option, it is just a phone call to clear customs coming back to the U.S.

3. A Grady club trip will likely have made arrangements for a couple of Bahamas customs agents to be on hand when the group arrives. Makes a poor introduction to the Islands more bearable. Download all the forms and fill them out correctly (good God don't make a mistake!) before your trip and the experience can be okay.

Rob

Grady678

Reaction score
WaterShark said:
I would like to make a trip to the West End this summer with my family. I would take all the necessary gear on board; life raft, hand held VHF and GPS, EPIRB, etc. I would plan to run out of St Lucie Inlet or close by. I understand that everything is weather dependent but I have an 8,6, and 3 year old. Is it safe or should I have them fly and meet me? Thanks in advance for your comments.

2000 232 Gulfstream
T 150 Yamahas

Watershark,

On charts, this trip seems short. It is not....not to mention a full family crossing. I just left Freeport and can tell you that if anything happens near the Grand Bahama waters.....you and your family will have to be self sufficient. It's doubtful they will send a tow vessel or any type of support if you breakdown or have a medical emergency. Please fly the family over and have redundant contacts and back up plans. Be careful of water in fuel purchase, gear, anything not bolted down. Sorry if I am a wet towel on this subject.