Bang Cap Corner Molding 2008 Sailfish

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The corner moldings on my Sailfish are cracked, both port and starboard. The starboard is worse. Checked with a GW dealer and they said GW does not make parts for boats older than 10 years. Anyone know where I can get replacement corner moldings for the bang cap? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6738.jpg
    IMG_6738.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6735.jpg
    IMG_6735.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40

Fishtales

Reaction score
Gonna be tough as those are either made for GW or by GW. I'd ask GW if they make those parts or not. If the latter can they provide the supplier. If so, you are likely out of luck.
If the latter, I'd try to rework myself with a heat gun and some two part epoxy. To be honest, they really don't do anything other than cover a seam that should be glassed.
Final option is to remove and either glass the area or use something like Marine Tex to fill. Then sand and gelcoat.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Fish, thanks. I really don't want to remove the corners unless I have replacements corners. I was thinking about using 4200 to seal the cracks,. Do you think that will work, at least to get me through this season?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sure. Use it on the screws too. You want to see the seal under it. May need to touch that up as well.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
Just do some caulking...about all you can do unless you reglass..I have the same issue

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My 02 doesn't even have those, the metal bang cap extends underneath to the vertical piece then it is sealed with caulk, poor design but it is what it is, to fishtales point why they didn't just glass the whole area is beyond me. I'd just reseal with 4200, that's what I do, re-caulking is a maintenance item on these vessels. I inspect my transom area each spring, scrape out anything I find questionable, and redo. Pretty easy task now that i have it down.

seasick

Reaction score
If you use 4200 you may not be able to remove them in one piece in the future if you want to. Just caulk in place using something like Life Seal

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks everyone for your input. I will start with using caulk (Life Seal) and keep an eye on the cracks/patchwork through the season.