best way to mount vhf ant to hardtop frame

lime4x4

Reaction score
I will be installing a hardtop setup on my 86 offshore over the winter. I would ike to install the vhf ant to the 2 inch round alum frame to get the ant higher. What would the best way be?

Salinity Now

Reaction score
X2 for the stainless steel ratchet mount, those things are the best.

I drilled a hole in my hard top, inside the electronics box for wires to pass through, I used a simple clam (on top) shell facing aft, run the wires (being sure to round off the hole to prevent chafing, fill hole with silicone (not 4200, you want something you can get off reasonably easy if you need to add more or do work), install clam shell over hole and fill it with silicone too, your all set. I have 2 vhfs and radar cable coming through mine, no issues with water leaking.

but definitely go with the stainless metal ratchet, it will hold up so much better to abuse.

lime4x4

Reaction score
I forgot to mention i'm going with a sunbrella top instead of fiberglass. So i need something to mount onto the actual frame. I went with the sunbrella top for weight reasons plus it was also almost 1k cheaper.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Never done it, so maybe someone can correct me, but if I was doing it myself, here is what I would be thinking...

Are the cross members flat (wide) enough to mount a standard vhf mount like linked above? If everything's round, then you need to find a clamp-on mount. I've seen them before so I know they're out there - try searching for t-top mounts. Now, if you use a clamp-on, is there enough room between the canvas and the tube? Is the canvas laced on? Would have to figure that part out, too.

lime4x4

Reaction score
U would think they would make a clamp on style. I found a fixed one but everytime a trailer the boat i would have to remove the ant. Below is a pic on how the canvas gets attached. It looks like to me the alum frame is exposed. I'm gonna try the canvas toop for the summer and if i like it i will have an enclosure built for it. If not i'll make a fiberglass top over the winter.. The frames are the same for the canvas or fiberglass top.

Attachments

• pa080012v2.jpg
    pa080012v2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 2,973

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Looks like the frame is exposed around the perimeter and there is probably enough play in the string to fit a clamp in there. Since they're building it for you, maybe you can buy one of those clamps you see in the picture. There might be a flat enough spot to tap threads and install a regular, SS ratcheting/folding mount. Or, maybe they can just weld a flat plate on the topside of one of the perimeter tubes?

lime4x4

Reaction score
I found that style that boe has. That would work but then every time i trailer the boat i'd have to unscrew the ant from the base. Nothing is ever easy...lol

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
lime4x4 said:

There you go - that's the type of thing I've seen before. Good find.

On another note, I winterized a friend's boat today who also had an Atlantic top. He had the antenna mounted on a side pipe (only about 3" down from the top). It was on a mount that Atlantic makes themselves. This one screwed into the pipe. It allowed him to use a ratcheting VHF mount.