Black Box placement on 33 Express

chaotic4mahi

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 33 Express and have some minor GPS issues. I would like to track the cables from my GPS to the Black Box but before I unscrew every screw in the mid birth I thought that I'd ask around. I have downloaded the Grady manual but it doesn't have a designated location for the Black Box (unless of course I missed it). Hoping someone can point me in a direction.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What year boat and which gps? Why do you think you have a "black box"? Ron

chaotic4mahi

Reaction score
2005 33 Express. Garmin 8212 with radar and sonar and VHF is integrated. Radar has a ERROR 6 warning which Garmin says check all cables and attachments. All installed prior to purchase 18 months ago.

seasick

Reaction score
chaotic4mahi said:
2005 33 Express. Garmin 8212 with radar and sonar and VHF is integrated. Radar has a ERROR 6 warning which Garmin says check all cables and attachments. All installed prior to purchase 18 months ago.
Oops. missed the part about only the radar not working

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
it looks like that model is not the "black box" one, but you would have a sonar gsd mounted somewhere. since you are saying that the error is radar, it is mostlikely a connection directly into the rear of the MFD, the radar itself, or a coupler or splitter if one is in line. for example, i mounted my radar power converter in the port electronic (radio) box and have a coupler for the garmin network along side it. that way, i only run a network cable down to my mfd in the electronics pod. that coupler went bad on me last year and i had to replace it.

i also mounted my gsd on the underside of the electronic pod top. if you can't see yours, there may be a network splitter (expander) somewhere that the radar is also connected to. i would look in the overhead electronic box for connections and also behind the instrument panel in front of the electronic pod (there is actually a lot of room in there).

they could have mounted something in the locker next to the head also, i have my heading sensor in there. long run for a connection though, but if you have an AP could be there. next would be behind the midberth starboard bulkhead. last would be under the liner of the electronic pod; that would be a pain.

i would follow the radar network cable from the pedestal down and make sure all connections are tight and clean (no green). good luck, ron

ps. just found some old garmin error codes i had. don't know if they are the same but 6 was a power code. if so, check the power connections from the converter to the pedestal and in to the converter itself from the distribution panel. could also be a blown fuse? i did have a converter go bad early on, seems they had a bad run at that time. good luck, ron

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If the "black box" you are referring to is the GSD sonar unit, mine is mounted directly behind the electrical switch panel in the cabin. Plenty of room in there and easy to run the wires to the electronics. Most GPS units are now in the antenna and the Garmin radar unit is in the unit itself. I installed a NMEA 2000 network behind the engine gauges and in the upper electronics box next to my VHF.

chaotic4mahi

Reaction score
wspitler said:
If the "black box" you are referring to is the GSD sonar unit, mine is mounted directly behind the electrical switch panel in the cabin. Plenty of room in there and easy to run the wires to the electronics. Most GPS units are now in the antenna and the Garmin radar unit is in the unit itself. I installed a NMEA 2000 network behind the engine gauges and in the upper electronics box next to my VHF.
Behind the panel was the only place I had not checked (primarily because of the amount of screws to be removed). I hope to find the GSD and Network there as the wiring from the units heads in that direction. Thanks for the heads up.

chaotic4mahi

Reaction score
ElyseM said:
it looks like that model is not the "black box" one, but you would have a sonar gsd mounted somewhere. since you are saying that the error is radar, it is mostlikely a connection directly into the rear of the MFD, the radar itself, or a coupler or splitter if one is in line. for example, i mounted my radar power converter in the port electronic (radio) box and have a coupler for the garmin network along side it. that way, i only run a network cable down to my mfd in the electronics pod. that coupler went bad on me last year and i had to replace it.

i also mounted my gsd on the underside of the electronic pod top. if you can't see yours, there may be a network splitter (expander) somewhere that the radar is also connected to. i would look in the overhead electronic box for connections and also behind the instrument panel in front of the electronic pod (there is actually a lot of room in there).

they could have mounted something in the locker next to the head also, i have my heading sensor in there. long run for a connection though, but if you have an AP could be there. next would be behind the midberth starboard bulkhead. last would be under the liner of the electronic pod; that would be a pain.

i would follow the radar network cable from the pedestal down and make sure all connections are tight and clean (no green). good luck, ron

ps. just found some old garmin error codes i had. don't know if they are the same but 6 was a power code. if so, check the power connections from the converter to the pedestal and in to the converter itself from the distribution panel. could also be a blown fuse? i did have a converter go bad early on, seems they had a bad run at that time. good luck, ron

Ron, Thanks for the input. I hope to check it out this weekend. jim