Boat names

bbbagman

Reaction score
So I have been getting my boat ready ( took delivery back in late June ). The topic of boat names has come up.... interesting topic I must say. Although no one was there when I wrote the check, everyone has taken at least a little interest in naming her.... So I came up with a name that I thought would would put a smile on everyone's face that saw her... Needless to say my daughter ( 16 years old ) and my girlfriend (I'm too dang smart to post her age !) have vetoed the name saying they woudl not step foot on my awesome new ( OK new to me but she's a 2006 and looks new) 228.....

Do you guys think it would be crass to name it the " Pull my Finger " ????

mboyatt

Reaction score
I agree with ditching that name, but hey, you are the one that matters. If you love it, go for it. But with a name like that, I would definitely sleep on it a while to make absolutely sure. Also, consider hailing a port or other vessel. This is the pull my finger. Do you want to be saying that?

noXcuse

Reaction score
Lol. That's funny. But, here's something to think about. When you hail the Coast Guard, other boats, bridges, locks, etc., you're probably going to give your boat name in there somewhere. And in a real emergency, "Mayday, Mayday, this is Pull My Finger!" Haha. I had a buddy that thought it would be funny to name his boat "Coast Guard", just for that reason. After some talking, he finally decided not to do it.

Spawn Bag

Reaction score
I have a friend that named his boat "small craft warning" everytime he is on the radio everyone else freaks out because they hear the phrase none of us want to hear.

bbbagman

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies !! While I think the name is funny... I do realize it is not a good idea to name her that ... back to the drawing board :hmm

Graybeard

Reaction score
My intended boat name of "Blackheart" was denied by the wife. I was only allowed to name our Freedom 225 "Graybeard," which is my long term name on the TidalFish web site. So I'm feeling ya on the denial, but I'd go for another daughter and girlfriend friendly name or you'll regret it

gradydriver

Reaction score
please think of resale value.....NO ONE is going to buy "Pull my Finger" when you are done with her.....

mboyatt

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about resale. The buyer will rename the boat - after adhering to all the ceremonial protocols. :) Having said that, I agree with avoiding "pull my finger" for all the reasons stated above. For me, that would be like naming your Grady the "scratch my ass." She deserves better than that. :mrgreen:

NHAngler

Reaction score
Remember, you could naming that boat for life. If you give it a cheesy name and ever decide to sell it, there are some folks that believe that it is bad luck to change the name and will keep what it was christened as. That said my son got a kick out of that name and thinks you should do it. He is 10 though. :wink:

devildogdad

Reaction score
I named my Marlin after my mother. When someone asked me why not my wife I said' My mother's name never changes"

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
devildogdad said:
I named my Marlin after my mother. When someone asked me why not my wife I said' My mother's name never changes"
I agree! If you split up with your wife ,she will get the house and you will get the boat. :(

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Saw this boat name on Craigslist in Boston and remembered this tread... :roll:

Attachments

• dfart.jpg
    dfart.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 566

mboyatt

Reaction score
Who does that? There is no way the wife would let me name a boat along these lines. Plus, I couldn't see myself hailing anybody with this is the Duck Fart. Man. I need to google search the worst boat names just to see what kind of crazy stuff is out there.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Drop the Pull My Finger. I have a daughter now 17 and I really wanted to name my boat Pole Dancer and get a dolphin jumping somewhere on it. I am an UCF alumnus and I thought about Nauti-Knight too. UCF's sports mascot are the knights.

I am from the central Florida area and a several years ago I was cruising around Ponce Inlet and saw a bunch guys in their early 20s and they had 18 foot Whaler and on the side of boat in red whaler looking letters were these words - titty titty bang bang. My daughter who was maybe 8 at the time read that and asked should that not be chitty chitty bang bang? I was at a loss for words there. So while some names may be funny I am often reminded by my own kids that many coastal and inland boaters are families and sometimes we should consider others when coming up with clever names.

zimm

Reaction score
My wife christened our boat "lady grady". When we hailed the dock master at national harbor, they held a 50' slip for us and we're turning away all the day boaters. When we approached the dock we yell across, we're the lady grady. You should seen his disappointment! I think we was expecting a bigger yacht. See my signature pic below. Hahaha