Boat Vibration

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
When trolling or cruising at slow speed (10-12 RPMs), my 2000 sailfish shakes from bow to stern. The port engine (F225 OX2 - 2000) seems to be the one vibrating and noticed the problem a few years ago. Had props checked and they were fine. Anyone have any ideas here?

no problem

Reaction score
same thing happened to mine. I sent both props out to be reconditioned and voila! it's all better. The props looked flawless before I sent them out. That was a relatively cheap fix for such an annoying problem. Hope this helps.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Not sure why you would only see it in one engine, but the OX66 engines unload the two bottom cylinders at low RPM. I believe one cylinder gets loaded at 1800 (total = 5) and the last cylinder later. So they can have some RPMs where they vibrate a bit.

Having said that, if it is abnormal then have it checked.

We put 465 hours on a 2001 250HP OX66 before we repowered with twins.

GradyGEO

Reaction score
Grady28...

I have the same problem on my 2000 272 with twin 225 ox66's. I have spent quite a few bucks to get rid of it and to no avail. It is awful and has had me looking to repower for some time now (just need the bucks).

I'm not clear if you have F225's or 225 ox66's? Please let me know.

I have heard the same info as posted about the cylinder drops and so on, but my issue started about two years ago. Didn't have it before, with exception to one rpm...1300...the boat always had a vibration at that rpm. And...it doesn't always happen at the same rpm, but the range now is between 1200 and 1800.

To say that this has driven me crazy is an understatement. I troll alot, and have a 40 minute cruise down a no wake canal to get to the inlet. Put it this way...the motors run fine, but I am willing to spend mucho denero's to get rid of it. I wish I had the answer for you, but I too am looking for the solution. Maybe we'll get lucky with this post.

GEO

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When you shut off each motor and operate other motor; same thing, not the same, or similar ?

If motor problem, Yamaha tech on sea test should pick up on it.

If not motor problem, then boat problem.

GradyGEO

Reaction score
Bob...Here it goes...

Port Engine only...small vibration, but easily acceptable
Stbd Engine only...noticable vibration, makes you think what the?
Both Engines running...shakes like crazy.

And as stated, never had the problem until two years ago. And what really gets me is that I could take you on a sea trial and not know what RPM would act up between 1200 & 1800. Sometimes its the whole range.

GEO

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Take a Yamaha mechanic for a ride.

If near a Grady dealer, take dealer for a ride too.

If motors check out okay, have a surveyor or boat rebuilder check out boat. I was thinking a bent prop shaft, hit anything lately?

Notice any stress lines of treeing/cracks in Gelcoat about the trasom where it connects to rest of boat (corners, inside and out)? Where engine bolts penetrate? Look into inside of bilge area back there too.

Or anywhere else, say on the cockpit deck or where deck connects into the rear area.

Everything is explainable.

Since you are sure it wasn't this way before, it's not your opinion.
And it is easy enough to figure out, between Yamaha mechanic and boat structure expert, it will be found readily.

GradyGEO

Reaction score
Bob...

My mechanic is a Yamaha guy...he said it was normal with these engines citing the cylinder drop thing...but I can't reconcille that with the fact that this vibration did not always occur.

Good idea about the Grady Dealer ride, however I'm not sure if they would be interested...I guess it can't hurt to ask.

I did not hit anything and if I did without knowing I would figure that the vibration wouldn't be limited to a specific rpm range...right? Wouldn't the vibration get worse with added rpms?

I always look around the inside of the bilge around the transom and such. Have not found anything suspicious, however I can't say that I have done a thorough inspection as I would have to remove my batteries to get a good look. Maybe I'll do that on the next bad weather weekend. No cracks anywhere on the outside.

Thanks for the post.

GEO

lgusto

Reaction score
GEO,

One alternative for inspecting hard to see spaces is your digital camera. Before I bought my boat I reached my hand as far into every nook and cranny and took lots of pictures. When back home on my computer I could zoom in on any questionable objects. Sort of a colonoscopy for your boat.....

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
GEO - My engines are what you have -- 2000 Yamaha 225 OX66 - 2000 sailfish. It seems to happen when engaging both engines and it does drive me crazy cause it shakes the entire boat from bow to stern. I can usually adjust one of the engines up or down to get it to stop or lessen. No problem at higher speeds. Have not had any problems with the engines and have done all the maintenance -- changing VST files, low pressure fuel pumps, cleaning 02 sensor etc. Just wish this vibration would stop. Perhaps there is some sort of cavitation issue with this boat and those engines?? David

GradyGEO

Reaction score
David,

I would say that it does feel like some sort of harmonic vibration which in my experience is somewhat normal on every boat that I run at a given speed. However, since you (and I) have both posted that this started a couple of years ago leads me to believe it is something else.

I too have done the maintenance that you have noted. Let me ask you this...how many hours do you have on your engines? I have approximated mine at 600 or so. And, what pitch props are you using? Mine are 17's

George

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the motors check out ok as you say, ask around for a recommended surveyor in your area, make sure recommendation comes here or at TheHullTruth.com or marina members, not from any dealer.

Take the surveyor for a ride and explain what you said here, about how it was in the past, and now, and the Yamaha motor report.

If he gives boat structure clean bill of heath, and he will know where to look, then live with it.

If you have no experience nor don't know what abnormal looks like, this isn't the time to learn by yourslef, just hire it out.

Same goes for buying a house, the engineer's report is same as surveyor's report typicaly done by buyer when buying a used boat.

You can be present during survey and ask all the questions you want. Make sure you take surveyor for ride and note the noise when it occurs.
Boat structural failures including rotted stringers, transom, and bulkheads, glass tabbing delamination, can do exactly as you report on any boat brand, including Gradys.

Good luck.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Would it be possible to check the engine vibration visually? Can you see the engine shake? What about putting your hand on the cowl. Can you feel the vibration in one engine or the other? Maybe you could run with cowls off and see if you could see any difference.

I have always wondered why outboards do not have syncros like inboard boats. In a diesel boat if run them without syncros you can fell a vibration.

Maybe your throttles and / or tach are a little off causing a vibration.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks everyone. I will check the vibration more this weekend. George - Not sure on the hours but they are probably close to or more than yours. I fish offshore 7-12 times per season (40-60 mile runs). Props are stainless 17's.

GradyGEO

Reaction score
The engines visually shake pretty much like most 10 year old 2 strokes do at low rpm, however you can not "see" any difference in the engine shake when you "feel" the vibration.

Thank you all for the input. If I find the solution I will follow up with a post. And if anyone has a recommendation for a structural surveyor here in the South Florida area please feel free to PM me.

David...I am sending you a PM with my contact info should you want to compare further findings.

blackgrady

Reaction score
maybe check the toe settings of the engines? i had a severe vibration and it was fixed with setting the toe on my 200 evinrude twins i measured a common point on each engines then set the cones accordingly.